FYI: NEW Nikon 50 / 1.4

how does photokina work? do companies release new items gradually during the show, or is this it for this year?

how does photokina work? do companies release new items gradually during the show, or is this it for this year?
Photokina is usually has the last big announcements of the year, so I wouldn't expect anything afterwards. There still might be a few surprises but I think this would be it in terms of new stuff from Nikon, we've had a bumper year already!

Great, my AF 50mm 1.4 will be here on Tuesday. I guess it's going back and I'll have to wait for the new one.

P

Paul.r.lindqvist

Paul, I haven't seen a comparison where the Sigma HASN'T outperformed the current Nikkor.
Well there is no secret that the Sigmas strong suite isnt corner to corner performance.Not to say its horrible, just that Sigma took a diffrent approach when they designed it.

Bokeh however is nice on the sigma wide open, it does detoriate (imo) when you stop it down though.

Even wide open i havent seen anything that would indicate the Sigma to be superior (as far as sharpness goes). And iv tried two copies on a D3 /D2X. Returned the second copy today actually.

Kindest

Well there is no secret that the Sigmas strong suite isnt corner to corner performance.Not to say its horrible, just that Sigma took a diffrent approach when they designed it.

Bokeh however is nice on the sigma wide open, it does detoriate (imo) when you stop it down though.

Even wide open i havent seen anything that would indicate the Sigma to be superior (as far as sharpness goes). And iv tried two copies on a D3 /D2X. Returned the second copy today actually.

Kindest
I don't need the stinkin' corners to be sharp! :tongue:

I've been considering adding a 50 to my kit. It should be a good focal length for pics of my infant granddaughter. So I'm thrilled that Nikon has announced the 50/1.4 AF-S. Once it starts shipping, the price of the older version will come down nicely ;-).

I've preordered this lens. I've been hoping for it for ages and pray that Nikon have optimised it for wide-open rather than stopped-down performance. If it avoids the dreamy halation I see with the current one below f2 I'll be happy.

Anyone think that Nikon may have held out their alphabet soup features for another 50, a higher priced f/1.2 version?

Kindest
Hi Paul,

So far I've seen the great bokeh you've seen plus better sharpness wide open than the Nikon 1.4. That's the key, I don't think the Nikon 1.4 is particularly strong @ 1.4 so having 85 1.4 like sharpness in a 50 is nice. Now I do think the new 1.4 will shine so Sigma will have to lower their price.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom