G-type (no aperture ring) AF lenses with film bodies

Sorry if this is not the most appropriate forum section for this kind of question.

Am I right in thinking that Nikon F100 will work (able to set aperture and autofocus) with G-type lenses (I have Sigma 85/1.4) and AF-S (HSM) lenses (Sigma 14/2.8)?

Is there even lesser (cheaper) film F mount body that can set aperture and autofocus those types of lenses?

Thank you!

I dedicated an N65 (F65 in the US) auto-focus film body to my Sigma 12~24 f4.5-5.6 which is a "G" lens, and it works very well.
This camera is an inexpensive, yet surprisingly full featured entry-level body:
Metal lens mount, M,A,S, and P exposure modes, depth of field preview, 2.5 FPS film advance, focusing points that can be re-positioned within the frame, the ability to re-wind a roll in mid-roll, and more. I got mine about six or seven years ago from Cameta Camera in New Jersey. The body was Nikon re-furbished, and came with a new "AA" battery adapter thrown in all for......$79.00!!!!
I've suggested this body here many times for film work other than Professional or really hard usage, but it seems to be overshadowed or ignored probably because it lacks the sexiness or "coolness" of the more expensive high-end or Pro bodies.
Mine has never had any problems or failed to give me well exposed, properly focused photos, and so I have no such qualms and would recommend it without reservation.
I hope this information is helpful.

Shots taken with the Sigma on the N65 in Death Valley.

Simone_Richard_Andrew-Badwater_Death_Valley-800.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

There is a photographer in this shot about an inch from the bottom and an inch in from the left
Richard_at_Artist_s_Palette-Death_Valley-800.jpg

Barbara_at_the_Dunes_2_Death_Valley-800.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The F100 works great with the lenses you mentioned. I'd strongly consider it over the the cheaper alternatives, as the handling and controls are more closely related to your D700.

As Carter suggested, the F100 is a fabulous body for the G type lenses as is the F5. I shot with the pair of those bodies for years. Both bodies are virtually a steal on the used market, and like the D700/MB-D10 combo, adding the grip to the F100 gives it AF on (iirc) and a vertical shutter release. It takes standard AA batteries and is a worthwhile addition.

Thank you all!

It's great to hear that already F55 can fully use my G-type lenses!

I know that F100 and F5 are great, but F100 is like 7 times (or more) the price of F65. So I'll probably grab one of those.

Will go read some F65 reviews now :)

Nikon made several models of film cameras that will work with G type lenses on film bodies.

To the best of my knowledge, G type lenses will work on the following bodies:

Nikon N55
Nikon N65
Nikon N75
Nikon N80
Nikon F100
Nikon F5
Nikon F6

There are some other bodies that G lenses will work on but only in some restricted mode such as p or s (program or shutter modes) those camera bodies were made before the bodies that I listed above were made.

I hope that this answers your question.

Steve Zalewski
Syracuse, NY

Steve and TerminalVeloCD, thanks for the list, rbsinto thanks for mini F65 review.

I noticed that you can't manually set film speed on F65. That and max. 1/2000 shutter speed on F65 might swing me towards F80.

You can use a G lens like the 14-24 2.8 ED AFS on bodies like the F3/T; you just lose AF and the ability to stop down. While not a perfect solution, it is a somewhat workable solution.

Gregory

Just bought F80 on ebay for one fifth of the price of F100. Seller says its like new. Sure I would've liked higher build quality and especially higher sync speed of the F100, but on the other hand F80 has built-in flash and is smaller in size and quite a bit lighter. I think F80 will be a fine replacement for my N8008.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom