Gaaaahhhh! I think my subwoofer died!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JMontes, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Okay, I never realized how important my "big black box" (as my wife calls it) was until it seemed to just stop working. I know the sub is the most important part of a home theater, but wow...when you lose it, you really realize how important it is!

Facts:

Fuse is good, I checked it.
    It lights up no problems, like it's active
    volume control on it and all switches are the same as when it worked
    IT IS NOT PUTTING OUT ANY BASS

What happened? Any ideas how I can test this out? Nothing on my receiver changed. It's the same on my xbox 360, PS3, and cable.

2. are you sure that the pre-amp from your amp/receiver hasn't gone bad?
    did you check the integrity of the cable on BOTH ENDS?

can you borrow another sub to see if IT works with your current set-up before buying another?

3. what model do you have
    are you sure no other switches have been inadvertently changed?

4. Greg, I wish I had another sub laying around, but I only have one surround......not as easy as swapping computer parts around. Nothing changed, it's just not outputting sound. Maybe this weekend I can dig it out from behind the TV and take it to a buddy's house and try it there. That's all I can come up with right now.

Man, it sounds like utter crap without the sub, but my kids are sure sleeping better at night :biggrin:

5. powered subs can die, unexpectedly, of course
    what brand and model is it, if i might ask?

6. Thaddeus

Thaddeus

Jul 24, 2008
    TX
    thread hijack: i have a klipsch reference series 12" :D

(I don't have impressive glass, so I gotta brag when I can :p)

7. BobW

BobW

Mar 10, 2008
    Illinois
    What kind of Reciever or Pre-Pro do you have in your system? You should be able to go into the set-up menu of your reciever and out put pink noise to each speaker in your system and test if it is working.

Bob

8. BobW

BobW

Mar 10, 2008
    Illinois
    I have more subs than you would want to hear about. But then I own an audio video store. My best sub is a Thiel SS2.

Bob

9. simple rear panel
    i'm sure you've checked the switches

[​IMG]

i'd try your sub elsewhere
    and i'd try another sub on your system.....
    IF you can do that, nothing will be more diagnostic

good luck

10. Thaddeus

Thaddeus

Jul 24, 2008
    TX
    subs from mount olympus don't count :p

11. LOL
    that is great..... made my night

12. Bah........did the test feature, no sound from the sub. I'm going to have to try it on another system or put another sub on my system to figure out if it's my sub or my receiver...my dad has the same system as me and he had a bad receiver to start. Oh well, will try my buddy's sub this weekend.

13. sounds like the sub
    but.... a blown pre-amp is also possible, of course

good luck

14. BobW

BobW

Mar 10, 2008
    Illinois
    John,

I don't find a reference to an adjustment for the speaker levels within your reciever with will output a test tone. I would say to make sure that the Sub is set to yes in the menu. A simple test the see if the amp in the sub is working is to take the sub interconnect out of the back of the reciever and then touch your finger to the RCA end of the cable and the sub should make a low noise when you touch it and the be silent when you take you finger off of it. This is just a test to see if the amp in the sub is working.

Bob

15. Bob, all that checked out.....thanks.

Argh, I hate spending camera money on sound equipment :biggrin:

16. BobW

BobW

Mar 10, 2008
    Illinois
    It is a nice sub and scary to think that it is only the middle one in the line up.

Bob

17. BobW

BobW

Mar 10, 2008
    Illinois
    Wish I could have been of more help. Sorry if there is a problem with one of the pieces of you equipment.

Bob

18. yeah.....
    i can fully identify with THAT remark
    my "expendable" income bounces back and forth between my photography and my motorcycling

it ain't pretty :redface:

19. Yeah, but if you shared your "money tree" secret with the cafe, you'd make quite a few of us happy Greg!!!! :biggrin: :wink: :tongue: