Galapagos Islands

PGB

Oh bob, got a brochure from Lindblad yesterday. I hope to go someday.

Thanks,

Recent trip to Galapagos

A quick image from our trip - really a test for me to see if it worthwhile and reasonable size. I will get organized and start another thread about this photographic trip, and try not to bore with redundant images.
Comments and suggestions are needed and welcome.
Thanks.
Nick

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Blue-footed bobby rolling eggs in nest - not a true nest, but they typically a shallow scrape on the ground.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Some marine iguanas coming up for a meal of algae.

Hi Nick,

It looks like you got the photo placement working. It seems like you have large white frames and rather small images. I would want bigger images and less frame, but maybe that is your style. I think the max display size in Nikon Cafe is 960 pixels, I usually use 800, but I have a narrow screen on the laptop that I use.

You can go back and edit your old posts if you want or need to.

Post more photos and tell us about the Photo Expedition. Our trip was in 1997 and Lindblad had just moved the Polaris to the Galapagos. They had not worked all the bugs out then and had not started Photo Expeditions yet.

Bob & Nan

Skyward,

First thanks for the info. Quick question. Everyone is saying not to bring long lenses but I just read an article by Thom Hogan (on his web site) in which he recomends a long lens. Have you read this article? and if so as you were just there what do you think?

Thanks Adolfo

Adolfo,
I am somewhat ambivalent about "long lenses" in the Galapagos. I'd hate to carry the 200-400, but there were a few occasions when I wish I had more reach than my 70-200 with 1.4. The other factor that might play a larger role is the weight restriction of 15 lbs on the flights to the Galapagos and that is influenced by the amount of food and supplies that are being carried on your flight. For us, there was no problem, but it's hard to guess. I had some advice that it wasn't worthwhile to bring a tripod, but it was most useful, and I would recommend one.
I brought my 12-24 -useful in some instances and worth the load, my 28-70 and that was used as much as my 70-200. We also had the 24-120 and that was on my wife's D100 and did a very good job in most instances. Most of the shooting didn't require up to a 400, but the photographer in charge, Ralph Lee Hopkins, brought his 300 with a 2X and used that frequently - but, he had been there many times and was really looking for the "home-run" type of shot.
An ambivalent answer, but perhaps not necessary to bring, but for a few shots.
I have put some of my early snaps at: http://www.pbase.com/redwing930/the_galapagos&page=all
you might get a better idea from the EXIF data there.
I am planning to re-size (properly) some of the images and post them here, but the spring cleanup has hampered this somewhat.
It is a spectacular trip!
Regards,
Nick Mace

Hi Nick,

I just looked through your Galapagos album on pbase. Those are great photos and bring back a lot of good memories.

I highly encourage everyone else to take a look at Nick's album and especially look at the focal lengths used. That will help everyone understand how close you can get.

Again great photos of a very special place!
Bob & Nan

Nick thanks,

Loved your photos, I can not wait till I get to see things on my own.
I understand that you can get really close. Reading Thom's article gave that a new perspective. If I decide to take the 200-400mm at least I have a year to get into really good shape lol.

Thanks again Adolfo

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom