1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Galapagos Short-eared Owl, up close and personal!

Discussion in 'Birds' started by jczinn, Aug 13, 2009.

1. On the Galapagos island of Genovesa, the Short-eared Owls hunt the storm petrels in their nests in the lava. They are amazingly camouflaged and the best way to spot one is to a) have a great guide; and 2) watch for them to fly out. Sometimes you get really lucky and have one land at your feet.

Only small ships (30 passengers or so) are allowed to go to Genovesa; the larger cruise ships can't anchor there. One of the reasons I chose the ship I did! It was my favorite island....

Here's the terrain--those are Galapagos Storm-petrels in the air--
    genoJZ2_8264a.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

We first saw one from afar and suddenly he flew up and landed down in a very dark crevice very close to us--I didn't even have time to change any settings and shot this at ISO 250 1/50th--when I did change to a higher ISO of course he turned around and never looked straight at us again. But I got this one sharp shot of him looking straight at me--

200-400vr
    seowJZ4_6015a.jpg

A little while later we saw another one in a crevice. Some of the group sat on the edge and in a few minutes the little guy hopped up and out--this shot is just to show you how close he came--(shot by my spouse actually with a D70 and 80-400VR)
    shortearowl.jpg

So, the owl was nice enough to hang for awhile and I had trouble getting these at 200mm (couldn't step any further back!) All these with 200-400VR

seowJZ4_6138a.jpg

seowJZ4_6149a.jpg

seowJZ4_6167b.jpg

The Galapagos are amazing for bird photography!

2. Gorgeous bird. Very nice shots.

3. Very beautiful, Janet! Glad you had a great time at the Galapagos.

4. Nice shooting of one of my favorite birds.

5. amazing pics and wonderful story Janet!!

6. Excellent shots of a beautiful bird!

7. Just love 'em, neat series and thanks for the wonderful travelouge Janet, is there more?

8. Great shots! Amazing the let you get so close.

-Bill

9. Beautiful set, Janet. That must be the trip of a lifetime.

10. Great shots of an amazing subject!

11. Absolutely beautiful! There's something about owls that I just find fascinating, your portrayals are excellent. :smile:

12. Lovely images... great framing.

13. Thank you everyone for looking and commenting.

Andreas, of course there is more :biggrin: Did you see my other posts on the Blue-footed Boobies and the Albatrosses? I'm actually processing island-by-island, and have some web pages up but not yet connected to my website. Should I post the links to what's done so far? Or wait till its all finished?

14. Great shots and story Janet. Love those short eared owls. I can't wait for ours to return.

15. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    Excellent Captures!

16. I'm enjoying each one of your Galapagos posts.
    Short-eared owls are wonderful because they have such a wide distribution. There aren't many species which can be seen both here in the British Isles and in the Galapagos, and in so many places in between!

Alan

17. Fantastic shots. I like the first and last the most. The first would be wonderful viewed full-screen/high resolution.

18. Hi Janet!!

Knockout shots of one of my favorite birds !!

This species is found almost world-wide.

Ch.

19. rachelita

rachelita Guest

fantastic shots of a beautiful bird I have not yet been able to see or photograph

20. Fantastic cant wait for the next series.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.