1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Galapagos--truly enchanted islands!

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by jczinn, Aug 8, 2009.

1. I haven't posted here in a long, long time due to various issues (health, job, blah blah) in the past year...but some old Cafe friends have encouraged me to post again. I hope some of you still remember me and that others may get to know me :smile: I see a lot of names I don't recognize!

Anyway, enough preamble---I recently returned from a trip to the Galapagos islands and--well, let's just say I have 4700 photos to wade through, although I've already pared it down some. I guess I should post birds and other wildlife in their respective forums (a bit confused about that? :confused: ) so to start I'll just post some scenics here.

We went on a week-long cruise on a small 32-passenger ship, the Evolution, which I can't recommend highly enough--it was fabulous, and I hate cruising (although I think I could get to like it on a small ship!)

All shot with the D300, 24-70 2.8 except for #1 which was shot with the 200-400VR

Our very first day we visited Kicker Rock--a volcanic formation offshore of San Cristobal island. Taken from the beach at Cerro Brujo, San Cristobal Island--gives you a bit of scale!

kicker_4578a.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Kicker Rock taken from a wildly bouncing panga (zodiac boat)!

kicker_7739a.jpg

Kicker Rock from our cruise ship as we circumnavigated at sunset

kicker_4711a.jpg

Bartolome Island is uninhabited and part of the National Park; quite barren and other-wordly. But beautiful. As you can see from this cinder cone, like all the Galapagos islands, its volcanic in origin.
    barto_5812a.jpg

On Bartolome there is a long hike up many many wooden steps to this very famous and overly-photographed viewpoint. We went just before sunset as we were heading down for a panga ride to view penguins before it got too dark.
    barto_5817b.jpg

As we finished up the day, riding the bouncing panga back to the ship, this Booby posed for me.

barto_5861a.jpg

I'll post more later in the Birds, and Animals areas (Waved Albatross, Blue-footed Boobies, Darwin's finches, Iguanas and Tortoises, and lots of Sea Lions)...so stay tuned!

Thanks for looking and I'd be glad to answer any questions about the Galapagos. I am already eager to go back, its truly a unique place and a nature photographer's paradise for sure.

2. Beautiful! What more can I say?

3. Absolutely gorgeous shots of a very unique place. I hope to get there someday.

Thanks for sharing these!

Bill

4. Hi Janet,

Welcome back!!

Great to see some photos of Galapagos. We remember all those steps that you climbed on Bartolome.

We will be watching for more of your posts,
    Bob & Nan

5. Wonderful scenics, Janet! Thanks for sharing.

6. Welcome back, Janet; glad to see you posting again. You were missed.

You've got some beautiful images of the Galapagos there. Since that place is on our short list for a future trip, it is very good to see something other than the animals. However, I'll look forward to them too!

7. tom500

tom500

Oct 24, 2008
    Grand Rapids
    those are awesome shots. I like the third one best. It has stunning light.

4700 pix in one week? wow, thats like one pic every 3 seconds.

8. jpfigueiredo

jpfigueiredo

Oct 3, 2008
    Leiria
    Wow, these are really beautiful.
    Definitely looking forward to the rest. :smile:

9. Janet,

Welcome back!!! :smile: Your photos are lovely (per usual) and as I'm headed there in November, a special treat for sure! Will look for your other posts, thank you for posting this!

10. Wao....!!!
    Elliot

11. Thanks so much everyone!

haha that's what happens when you shoot on Continuous High. I usually don't, just for that reason, but here I didn't want to miss anything! Believe me many of those are going in the trash, but the worst is sorting through the ones that are identical. I'm going back to Continuous Low next time :Wink:

That's great that you are going there? What ship will you be on? If you need any tips, feel free to ask. The most important thing--bring a waterproof backpack for your gear to carry in the pangas. I saw many folks get their stuff ruined--one woman's camera got splashed and died and it was in her non-waterproof backpack.

I put up the first of the bird batch (Waved Albatross) here:

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=239092

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  12. Fantastic photos!

Nicely done.

13. Hey there stranger you have been missed glad to see your post and wow what a trip it must have been. Whatever reason have kept you from posting I hope they are behind you now.Oh yea great shots as usual

14. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Wonderful shots janet! Makes me want to go out and book a trip this afternoon!

15. JusPlainCrayzee

JusPlainCrayzee Administrator Administrator

Nice to meet you, Janet, and your photos are stunning!!! #1 and #6 are my absolute favorites!

Going to check out the bird batch now...

16. dusseldorf

dusseldorf

Mar 11, 2008
    CT, USA
    Wow - Love the pictures

17. Rosa Chinensis

Rosa Chinensis

Aug 25, 2007
    Virginia
    Mesmerizing! Thanks for sharing!

R

18. Great photography, Janet. Glad you remembered us -- we had not forgotten you.:smile:

19. Spectacular Views

Hi Janet,
    Great stuff. I hope that you enjoyed your trip. Keep the pictures coming.:smile:

20. Thanks for taking me to a virtual trip to a special place in the world that I will probably never see myself.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.