Gallery opportunity. Anyone with hanging experience?

I have been given the opportunity to decorate a small gallery, which is actually the foyer heading into one of the highest end financial planners in town.
Fair amount of high end traffic. At least give me some more exposure in town. Will hang for about a year. Sales possible, but not common. I do get to keep the pieces after the hanging.
Usually they have large paintings, often 4x6feet or so. I have 3 wall spaces. 21x18x13 feet to fill. They usually have 3 to 5 very large pieces, but I will have to go smaller.
They are paying my costs, so I can print on any medium, any size, any framing. I have a budget of $3-4000.
They have seen and like both my black and white as well as color work. I will be using Florida wildlife as a main theme.
I have a couple of questions.
Most of my images are printed on a bartya paper, classic 3" white mat, 3-4" black frame. I can print these myself up to 40x60", viewed close- I think they look better about 20x30.
I am thinking of about 6-8 images.
I am concerned the "classic" framing may look little stuffy. I am thinking about acrylic or metallic prints, hung unframed for a more modern look. Never tried the format before, but have a couple of small samples on order.
Has anyone hung something similar? Any thoughts or ideas??
Just in the thinking phase, will hang in october.
Thanks
Gary

Real Name
Ken
I have been given the opportunity to decorate a small gallery, which is actually the foyer heading into one of the highest end financial planners in town.
Fair amount of high end traffic. At least give me some more exposure in town. Will hang for about a year. Sales possible, but not common. I do get to keep the pieces after the hanging.
Usually they have large paintings, often 4x6feet or so. I have 3 wall spaces. 21x18x13 feet to fill. They usually have 3 to 5 very large pieces, but I will have to go smaller.
They are paying my costs, so I can print on any medium, any size, any framing. I have a budget of $3-4000.
They have seen and like both my black and white as well as color work. I will be using Florida wildlife as a main theme.
I have a couple of questions.
Most of my images are printed on a bartya paper, classic 3" white mat, 3-4" black frame. I can print these myself up to 40x60", viewed close- I think they look better about 20x30.
I am thinking of about 6-8 images.
I am concerned the "classic" framing may look little stuffy. I am thinking about acrylic or metallic prints, hung unframed for a more modern look. Never tried the format before, but have a couple of small samples on order.
Has anyone hung something similar? Any thoughts or ideas??
Just in the thinking phase, will hang in october.
Thanks
Gary
First, congratulations! Now on to metal and acrylic.

I am a big fan of metal prints, and they are great for public display. They are very durable and if you print glossy, they have a lot of "pop". I have printed as large as 20x30 and find metal to be a durable material that can put up with abuse. I have lately printed on acrylic. Acrylic also has that "pop", but in a different way. It is more dimensional and more subject to the lighting it receives. Also, acrylic seems just a bit more delicate. It is a fingerprint magnet, and can be scratched. It is also heavy if you select a thicker piece of acrylic. And it can be quite expensive. If the piece was to hang where nobody could touch it, I would consider acrylic. If it is in an area where people can get right up, I'd probably stick with metal.

Good luck,

--Ken

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes these are hung in an area they can be touched, bumped, etc- although I have never seen any paintings damaged.
For the most part no kids or anything, but I had not considered the fragility of acrylic. Thanks for the info.
I am thinking unframed pieces would look more "modern" and in place with a foyer, the classic framed images look more like a gallery.
Still pondering
Thanks
gary

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
I think your work would be stunning printed on metal. I have framed metal prints. The edges and corners of the metal are very, very sharp. If the edges are exposed, ask how sharp they will be.

BTW - I've never been hanged.....but I've been roasted! :D

Last edited:
I have, obviously, never had to plan and hang before. I have always just handed off to a gallery. They hang, and I complain about the light. Now I have all the decisions.
I have a pretty large collection of 16x20 matted prints, I put a backboard, mat and print in a clearbag. I will take them in 20 or so and let them help pick what they want.
I have this print out for a 16x20 test print on aluminum.
I look at this as another opportunity to learn, but want to screw up as little as possible.
Gary

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Ken
I think your work would be stunning printed on metal. I have framed metal prints. The edges and corners of the metal are very, very sharp. If the edges are exposed, ask how sharp they will be.

BTW - I've never been hanged.....but I've been roasted! :D
Most labs will round off the corners if ordered that way.

--Ken

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
I have used Bay photo for both paper and metal prints. They have always done an excellent job for me. Check their settings requirements carefully before ordering. I color calibrated before ordering...and didn't choose their higher level of support.

Thanks for the heads up on the sale!
I have a pro account with Aluminyze, and have used them before for aluminum prints. A 20x30" sample should be here by the end of the week. If we don't like the look of aluminum I will try acrylic. I print my own on papers- but wanted to try something different here. I gave the gallery owners a portfolio of 30 images to pick from- they handed them back and said for me to pick. That makes this even harder. I think the entry wall is going to get one large color 40x60" piece. The other 2 walls will each get 3 20x30" prints. One smaller wall will be black and white, the other color. More work than I expected when I said yes- but I am learning a lot. I'll post as this goes, we can learn together. I will certainly post a couple of pictures of the completed project, but that will not be until fall.
Gary

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom