Game changer - practical concentrated solar

Looks very interesting. Challenges will be scaling up, making viable in low sunlight areas, and energy storage. Mass-produced hydrogen solves the energy storage problem, but you still have to transport the hydrogen.

So far it is just a demonstration project and it really isn't clear what AI has to do with it in any case. They are focussing a mirror on a spot, not trying to guess economic trends. I'm also a bit put off by their blasé "we'll just store the heat when the sun isn't shining"

I agree that hydrogen is the ultimate fuel - plentiful, pollution free, but difficult to "manufacture" and somewhat problematic to handle.

So far it is just a demonstration project and it really isn't clear what AI has to do with it in any case. They are focussing a mirror on a spot, not trying to guess economic trends. I'm also a bit put off by their blasé "we'll just store the heat when the sun isn't shining"

I agree that hydrogen is the ultimate fuel - plentiful, pollution free, but difficult to "manufacture" and somewhat problematic to handle.
I think the use of AI is in precisely focusing the mirrors.I agree that the spokesman overly simplifies the problems of energy storage.

I think the use of AI is in precisely focusing the mirrors.I agree that the spokesman overly simplifies the problems of energy storage.
I agree. The company has a right to brag a little about getting the focusing right and reaching 1000°. But the elephant in the room is energy storage: stationary storage for energy to use when the sun is not shining, mobile storage to get reasonable range from electric vehicles. To me the exciting prospect is cheap, non-polluting production of hydrogen. There are challenges there in handling and storage on mobile platforms. My suspicion is that if/when hydrogen becomes inexpensive and plentiful, the most practical way to use it will be in fuel cells.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom