Gannet, I think? (ID confirm needed)

Some years we see Gannets along the coastline here in Florida (Just north of Ft. Lauderdale) for just a day or two. A couple of days ago we saw several birds too far from the shore to get good photos so these are just for ID. If it is a Gannet, it is a juvenile, but it might possibly be a juvenile masked booby. There were about 4 individual birds, but none were adults.

All photos severly cropped:
Back Views
113044622-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

113044693-L.jpg

Underside:
113044803-L.jpg

Gannets (and Boobies also) are know for their spectacular dives from quite high in the air:
113045193-L.jpg

113045302-L.jpg

113045387-L.jpg

113045494-L.jpg

It is the dive and the splash that draws your attention that this is a different bird than the normal Gull or Pelican.

Can anyone confirm a Gannet or Masked Boobie?
Bob & Nan

I'd say based on the more uniform color across the back, and the well defined pattern through the neck and head that it's a Northern Gannet. The patterning along the tail is a bit more tricky, as some boobies show more black, and some gannets show more white, so the tail pattern alone can be misleading. I wouldn't "list" the species based on the pictures, but I would be comfortable calling a 1st year gannet in this case...

Latest threads

Top Bottom