Gannets on the Bass Rock (Part 1)

Discussion in 'Birds' started by alanhill, Jul 20, 2007.

1. The Bass Rock is a small island in the Firth of Forth, 30 miles east of Edinburgh. It is the most famous gannetry in the world, recognised by the scientific name of the Atlantic gannet Morus bassanus.

BassRock001d190.

There are thought to be about 40 thousand pairs nesting on the Bass; which is about 1/8 of the total world population.
    Only a few people visit the island each year. I was lucky that the weather was beautiful for the trip I booked. We landed without difficulty and followed the path through the old fortifications below the lighthouse to the ruined chapel, just above the centre of the island in the photo. Everywhere above this point is smothered in gannets. They are quite undisturbed by visitors, provided you don't go too close.

BassRock001d043.

All these photos were taken with my D200 and the 18-70mm kit lens from my old D70. These two show the birds nesting on the ridge above the lighthouse.

BassRock001d041.

BassRock001d031.

I even managed one or two flight shots with this little lens. This bird came into land a short distance to my left.

BassRock001d049.

I will post some more gannet flightshots soon.

Alan