Gannets on the Bass Rock (Part 2) Flightshots

Discussion in 'Birds' started by alanhill, Jul 21, 2007.

1. There are always many gannets in flight over the Bass Rock. They are so magnificent in the air that I felt I had to take flight photos with my 300mm f/4 until my arms got too tired.

BassRock001a432.

BassRock001a449.

BassRock001c107a.

BassRock001c078.

BassRock001c127.

As you can see, conditions were excellent. But BIF photography is never easy; it helps to have birds with 6 foot wingspans (180 cm) which glide more than they flap their wings and which don't care how close they get to you - but you lose many shots when other birds enter the frame or your subject gets too close or you foul up the panning or the focus.
    You always need lots of memory space - I was shooting uncompressed raw files and I shot almost all of my cards (15 GB) during this trip. I was very glad that I had bought an extra 4 GB card before I set out.

Alan

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    That is a beautiful bird. I have never seen one:>))

Beautiful shots

They photograph well

3. Hi Alan,

Those are great shots of a good looking bird. Gannets are fun to shoot, but you don't get a high percentage of keepers. Those memory cards fill up fast.

We saw a lot of them in New Zealand in December and in Scotland and Iceland in June.

Bob & Nan

4. Thank you for these comments.
    Gannets are unforgettable birds - everything about them is spectacular. I have lots more shots to post (you have been warned :biggrin:).

Alan

5. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    These are all excellent images and they are indeed beautiful birds. Well done!

6. very well done and I had not een this species before either