Gannets on the Bass Rock (Part 4) Close-ups and bystanders

Discussion in 'Birds' started by alanhill, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Some more shots from my visit to the Bass Rock two weeks ago.
    Gannet close-ups: they are magnificent in profile, but they look a little strange from the front.

BassRock001a289.

BassRock001a478.

BassRock001a293.

Gannets feed by plunge diving so they need good vision forwards and downwards; they also don't need nostrils in the normal place - which would be a real inconvenience.

Hanging around the edge of the gannet colony are the gulls. They are almost as unconcerned by visitors as the gannets. There are two common species which are closely related (they belong to the same 'ring species').
    Lesser black-backed gull
    BassRock001c012.

Herring gulls
    BassRock001a137.

BassRock001c056.

Alan

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2007
  2. Baxter

Baxter

Jan 8, 2007
    Clemson, SC
    Nice shots Alan. Beautiful pale coloring on the gannets.

3. tech1961

tech1961

Jan 28, 2007
    Houston Tx.
    Wow what an awesome series.

4. Hokum

Hokum

Jun 20, 2006
    Pennines UK
    Nice shots, i had hoped to get away to the Farnes but things conspired against me.
    Keep up the good work!

5. Andyc

Andyc

Nov 6, 2006
    South Wales UK
    Very nice shots Alan. I saw Bass rock from shore when we were that way a few weeks ago. Did you get a boat from North Berwick?
    Best regards
    Andy

6. Thank you all for your comments - there are still some more gannet shots still in the can, watch this space.

I think the boats from North Berwick just go round the rock (although I haven't been there for several years). I went from Dunbar, on a trip was organised by the Scottish Seabird Centre in North Berwick (they run them twice a week in the summer, wind and tide permitting).

Alan

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wow
    Beautiful shots
    Thanks for showing