Gannets on the Bass Rock (Part 6) Nesting & chicks

Discussion in 'Birds' started by alanhill, Aug 6, 2007.

1. This is the only shot I got which shows just one gannet on its nest, this little ledge has room for one only. This bird is sitting tight, probably incubating a late egg or a small chick.

BassRock001a086.

Most of the chicks were at their most attractive fluffy stage.

BassRock001c060a.

At first sight this one looks dead, but it's just asleep.

BassRock001a465.

This chick didn't meet its parent's cleanliness standard.

BassRock001a309.

It needed a thorough preening.

BassRock001a337.

This is the last set of photos from the Bass Rock itself. I have one more set from the journey which I will post eventually.
    I must add that I was really impressed with the D200's matrix metering. I was worried about shooting so many white birds in bright sunlight, remembering that I had to bracket widely when I tried to shoot gannets with an OM1 on Kodachrome many years ago. For the first 15 minutes I wondered about exposure compensation and I checked the histogram for each shot - but it was spot-on every time. So I stopped worrying: all these shots needed minimal processing (cropping, tiny levels adjustment and unsharp masking) - the only exception was the second shot in this thread (white down in sunlight and black skin in shadow) which needed some work with curves and a little burning). Well done D200 :smile:

Alan

2. Andyc

Andyc

Nov 6, 2006
    South Wales UK
    Very nice set once again Alan. Looking forward to the next chapter.
    Best regards
    Andy