1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Gannets- singular and plural

Discussion in 'Birds' started by erewhon, Aug 3, 2009.

1. erewhon

erewhon

Jan 12, 2009
    PA
  2. Beautiful! Where is this?

3. erewhon

erewhon

Jan 12, 2009
    PA
    Taken at Hermaness, Shetland Islands- the most northern point of Great Britain.

4. Great shots! What's the story behind these shot? How close were you? Did you climb cliff for these shots?

5. Nice shots I like the colors.

Which lens and camera did you use?

6. erewhon

erewhon

Jan 12, 2009
    PA
    > The gannets are found both on rocks surrounded by water and also on cliffs on the mainland. These photos are from cliffs on the mainland. The photo below shows the cliffs

hermaness2.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

and the arrow shows the place the photos were taken from. While most of the gannets are too far from the edge I was able to find a few places with a good view of the gannets from above. The photos were taken by standing VERY CAREFULLY close to the edge. No climbing. Not for those with unsteady legs or a fear of heights.

> Which lens and camera did you use?

All photos taken with a D40 and a Sigma 150-500 at 500 mm.

7. Excellent shots. You won't need to worry about my crowding your photo site - I really don't like heights (especially with no railings or fences set in concrete and/or bedrock).

8. Wonderful captures.

9. Ryan Bradford

Ryan Bradford

Jul 14, 2009
    Rochester
    Man i need a 500mm, these look amazing!

10. Thanks for the information...looks like fun!

11. jachang

jachang

Jan 1, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Magnificent! Those are just beautiful! I had considered getting that lens, and now I'm sorry I didn't. Although I wouldn't have gotten shots like that even with the lens--I'd be scared to death on those cliffs!

12. I love gannets - but I hate cliffs. Fortunately some gannetries are on more level ground :smile:
    I love these photos of course.

Alan

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.