1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Garage lighting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DarkGT, Jun 21, 2007.

1. DarkGT

DarkGT

May 27, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Please forgive my ignorance but whe people refer to the garage lighting and taking pictures in the garage... When you photograph someone in the garage, do you position them near the entrance to get the light there and leave the incandescent or neaon tube lights in the garge off so that the background is dark and falls off quickly from the subject? I was looking at old posts and found some great shots and I am trying to learn the technique... Any insight would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks!

2. Here you go, a Discovery Channel Documentary on Kevyn Major Howard - the master of garage photography. Scroll down and watch the video. It shows his setup and technique. http://www.headshot-photography.com/media.htm I downloaded the video and then just cropped to the section of his setup for reference purposes.

3. Yes, exactly.

You can position them right at the entrance for a nice, even light:
    [​IMG]

Or you can position them deeper in the garage for a little more drama ...
    [​IMG]

The coolest part of garage light is the catchlights/reflections you get...
    [​IMG]

Once you get started, you'll be parking your cars outside every chance you get.

4. DarkGT

DarkGT

May 27, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Thank you all for the info! I will definaitly catch that video also...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.