Garage Portraits (Take 1)

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by NateS, Aug 30, 2008.

1. NateS

NateS

Oct 11, 2007
    Missouri
    I decided to make up a little "studio" in the garage to try some natural light shots as I've recently seen this done recently with great results. C&C please as portrait work is definitely not my strong area by any means. Focus was as best as I could....he was on fire today constantly running *pulls hair out*.

2008-08-29_17web.

2008-08-29_21web.

2008-08-29_29web.

2008-08-29_31web.

2008-08-29_33web.

2008-08-29_36web.

2008-08-29_45web.

2008-08-29_45bwweb.

2. NateS

NateS

Oct 11, 2007
    Missouri
    bump

3. Looks like one happy little man... :smile:

4. Your exposure looks dead on. I see you used a background, very nice, I wondered how that would work out. :smile:

5. It looks to me that these are slightly underexposed and over-contrasty and the shirt blends into the background.

[​IMG][/URL] [/IMG]

6. NateS

NateS

Oct 11, 2007
    Missouri
    I used the idea that I'd mentioned in one of your threads. I actually bought a black Queen size sheet and punched 2 holes in the top sides. THen I just hung it from some white "plant hanger" hooks from the ceiling. It worked well and only takes about 2 minutes to setup/tear down.

I think the exposure looks really good too, but a lot of other's think they are a little underexposed. I work hard to not blow out his skin tones which I think often leads me to underexposing slighty......another thing I need to work on some.

7. Mike Irish

Mike Irish

Jun 14, 2008
    Ireland
    I truly enjoyed your photo's .Number 6 is my favorite.
    If I could get shots as good as these I would be very happy.

All the best and keep shooting and enjoying yourself.
    Mike.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mike_irish/

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2008
  8. NateS

NateS

Oct 11, 2007
    Missouri
    Thanks Mike. 6 was my favorite as well. I was pretty happy with the results considering we only messed around with shooting for about 5-10 minutes. Can't wait to get some flash triggers and try it again with better lighting.

9. Flash triggers??

The idea behind what Mitch and I have done is to use natural light, not flash. :smile: By sitting the subject just back from the opening of the garage, the garage door essentially becomes a big softbox.

10. Mike Irish

Mike Irish

Jun 14, 2008
    Ireland
    Take a step back for one moment. Just look at the colouring in your shots. I feel that you would loose the atmosphere if you were to go the flash option. Certainly new toys can be the source of great fun. I would stick with natural light if atoll possible.Regards.

Mike.

11. Flash trigger??:eek:  This would be heresy for garage shooting/:wink:

These are a pretty good first effort. Unfortunately, this is not the mileu for a mobile toddler. While the lighting is great, your rarely get shutterspeeds high enough to stop action unless you want to crank up the ISO. Your best shots are propped on a stationary toy. Try sitting him on a small bench or stool.

As mentioned, the shirt is a bad choice for your dark background inside your garage. He has no separation and several photos look like his head is just floating. Most of these are also a bit underexposed. You could correct this easily if you shot in RAW.

Keep shooting and avoid flash in the garage.

12. what a cute series of shots
    LOVE THE TEETH

13. NateS

NateS

Oct 11, 2007
    Missouri
    I see what you're saying and that makes sense. I guess I was just trying to use a flash due to a lot of the comments on the lighting. Maybe I should focus on getting him to stop moving.

Good points. I'll try some different toys and such. Maybe toss him in a big box since he thinks that is a lot of fun. Just getting him to stand still isn't an option so I'll work with some other ideas.

Yeah, I'll avoid the flash in the garage, I was just trying to do more of a studio shoot, but not really needed I suppose with the gigantic "soft box". I do shoot in RAW and corrected them to what looked right to me. I suppose I didn't bump them enough. I did shoot them a little underexposed due to me having a bad habit of that anyway. I'm going to shoot with looking at the histogram(over picture) from now on instead of the picture itself to judge my exposure.

Thanks Spalding. His teeth are cute but they can hurt ya if you aren't paying attention :biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.