Garage portraiture - Day 2

Discussion in 'People' started by BostonRott, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Mitch, you've created a monster! :tongue: :biggrin: This light is purely addictive!!!!

Yesterday I shot at 1:30p, today's shots are around 10:15a. With a south-facing garage, yesterday's light was coming over my left shoulder, today's from my right.

102286112.gif

View attachment 243883

2. This could become addictive with such a cute model.....I need to empty my garage before I can try this. I have 2 of every kitchen appliance in it right now..Kitchen renovation then I will try this garage thing..

3. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    The first one is just sweet...adorable, precious!

That second one...WOWZERS!!!! A smile like that could solve the world's problems!

ETA: Oh yeah...and the light isn't bad either. :wink:

4. great shots, gretchen
    LOVE #2
    i think i might need to either:
    1. clean out my own garage
    2. drive over to Mitch's house and beg to borrow his "space."

5. Thanks Arnie, Leigh and Greg! :smile:

We actually do keep cars in our garage, so they're pretty open. I just pull the cars out to the driveway. :tongue:

BTW, here are some outtakes from today...hehehe, she is such a funny kid! :smile:

102287126.gif

6. Gretchen, now you're getting into the swing of things!!! #2 is excellent. Nice lighting and the jaunty angle is great.

#1 exhibits a problem I have yet to solve. Not enough light on the hair during early morning shooting. I've thought about a reflector hanging from the ceiling, but it seems like too much work.

I love what you are doing here!!!

7. OMG the outtakes are fantastic!!!

8. Thank you so much! I'm really loving this!! :biggrin:

#2, she was leaning forward more, almost into the plane of the light....thus better lighting on the hair. I wonder if a touch of layers/masking might help the hair in #1?

You could go to Home Depot and get one of those skylights that brings lights down a tunnel, from roof to room. Simply install it outside the garage, run through side wall, and across garage ceiling.....to spot above typical model placement. Voila, hair light! :biggrin: :tongue:

9. Gretchen, you're not supposed to be costing me money!!:tongue:

10. mhcfires

mhcfires

Aug 23, 2007
    El Cajon, CA
    Your little daughter is so photogenic, and her mother is doing quite well with her camera. What a combination! And…*the outtakes are a riot!

:smile:

11. Thank you Michael!! :smile: :smile:

Today, as promised......wormie shots (perhaps garage lit worms?! :tongue:)

12. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    She's just too cute. You know you're going to be in trouble when she get older, right?

13. I plan to leash a Rottweiler to her (permanently!) around age 9. :tongue: :biggrin:

14. Your outtakes are the kind of images I try to get. I love images that show the child's personality.

15. You have done so well with the garage light Gretchen! WTG!

Exactly! Me too! This is what I have on my business card right now.

2293812327_fb473a1557.jpg

16. Point well taken you two! :smile: Actually, all 4 of these are her.....the first one being "not quite sure I feel like doing this." :tongue:

17. NateS

NateS

Oct 11, 2007
    Missouri
    You aren't helping me at ALL!!! I really want to try this with our son, I've just been getting home too late this week to get good light in the garage. Maybe tomorrow night I can get my wife to assist me and play around with this. I've got a few ideas going through my head that I want to try and your photos are making me very anxious.