1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Garage portraiture - Day 2

Discussion in 'People' started by BostonRott, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Mitch, you've created a monster! :tongue: :biggrin: This light is purely addictive!!!!

Yesterday I shot at 1:30p, today's shots are around 10:15a. With a south-facing garage, yesterday's light was coming over my left shoulder, today's from my right.

View attachment 243883

2. This could become addictive with such a cute model.....I need to empty my garage before I can try this. I have 2 of every kitchen appliance in it right now..Kitchen renovation then I will try this garage thing..

3. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    The first one is just sweet...adorable, precious!

That second one...WOWZERS!!!! A smile like that could solve the world's problems!

ETA: Oh yeah...and the light isn't bad either. :wink:

4. great shots, gretchen
    LOVE #2
    i think i might need to either:
    1. clean out my own garage
    2. drive over to Mitch's house and beg to borrow his "space."

5. Thanks Arnie, Leigh and Greg! :smile:

We actually do keep cars in our garage, so they're pretty open. I just pull the cars out to the driveway. :tongue:

BTW, here are some outtakes from today...hehehe, she is such a funny kid! :smile:

6. Gretchen, now you're getting into the swing of things!!! #2 is excellent. Nice lighting and the jaunty angle is great.

#1 exhibits a problem I have yet to solve. Not enough light on the hair during early morning shooting. I've thought about a reflector hanging from the ceiling, but it seems like too much work.

I love what you are doing here!!!

7. OMG the outtakes are fantastic!!!

8. Thank you so much! I'm really loving this!! :biggrin:

#2, she was leaning forward more, almost into the plane of the light....thus better lighting on the hair. I wonder if a touch of layers/masking might help the hair in #1?

You could go to Home Depot and get one of those skylights that brings lights down a tunnel, from roof to room. Simply install it outside the garage, run through side wall, and across garage ceiling.....to spot above typical model placement. Voila, hair light! :biggrin: :tongue:

9. Gretchen, you're not supposed to be costing me money!!:tongue:

10. mhcfires

mhcfires

Aug 23, 2007
    El Cajon, CA
    Your little daughter is so photogenic, and her mother is doing quite well with her camera. What a combination! And…*the outtakes are a riot!

:smile:

11. Thank you Michael!! :smile: :smile:

Today, as promised......wormie shots (perhaps garage lit worms?! :tongue:) 

12. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    She's just too cute. You know you're going to be in trouble when she get older, right?

13. I plan to leash a Rottweiler to her (permanently!) around age 9. :tongue: :biggrin:

14. Your outtakes are the kind of images I try to get. I love images that show the child's personality.

15. You have done so well with the garage light Gretchen! WTG!

Exactly! Me too! This is what I have on my business card right now.

2293812327_fb473a1557.

16. Point well taken you two! :smile: Actually, all 4 of these are her.....the first one being "not quite sure I feel like doing this." :tongue:

17. NateS

NateS

Oct 11, 2007
    Missouri
    You aren't helping me at ALL!!! I really want to try this with our son, I've just been getting home too late this week to get good light in the garage. Maybe tomorrow night I can get my wife to assist me and play around with this. I've got a few ideas going through my head that I want to try and your photos are making me very anxious.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.