Garden Spider

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by cmpalmer, Oct 7, 2005.

1. cmpalmer

cmpalmer

Jan 27, 2005
    Huntsville, AL
    This spider had spun a really big web in the shrubs at the edge of our porch. I had to stretch out on my stomach and hold the camera through the porch railings to get the shots, so I couldn't get a full topdown without the car in the background (yes, I was too lazy to move it because it was blocked in by another car). I did get a few from the side that turned out OK.

50122391_e2c2244fa2_o.

50122368_ca0e566044_o.

A few more are at http://flickr.com/photos/cmpalmer/

2. This guy has definitely caught himself some dinner.

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Great Spidy shots.

Me, I would be half way down the block. eeeekkkk

4. Hi Chris!

Great shots! I have seen quite a lot pics of this species and have been always wondering how big are these.

5. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Great shots Chris! I myself took a few similar to these recently....I was about 4 feet from him, although I could have gotten closer had I chosen to (I don't like spiders, so I stayed where I was).

Thanks for sharing.

6. cmpalmer

cmpalmer

Jan 27, 2005
    Huntsville, AL
    This one (a female), tip of front legs to tip of back legs, is about 2.5" (6cm?) long. They can get quite a bit bigger. The males are smaller and not as dramatically marked (I don't know that I've seen or at least identified a male before, but I'll keep my eyes open).

Here is the Wikipedia entry on them:

Wikipedia - St. Andew's Cross Spider

And another article about them:

Black and yellow garden spider

There are some great pictures of them here, including one that caught (and was in the process of eating) a hummingbird...