Garden visitor

I went to a pond not far from me in hopes of getting some dragonfly photos after seeing all the lovely shots here. It was very frustrating as I only had a 80-200 2.8 to use and it seemed to want to focus on back wings instead of the body even though the focus point was on the body. Oh well, so much for that idea. I went home and a few hours later started up the bbq for supper. I took the camera out with me (with the Sigma 105 on it) because we have a clematis that has just taken off this year and I wanted to try and get some pictures of its deep purple blooms. Lo, and behold, a couple of dragonflys were flitting about the garden and stopped just long enough for a couple of photos. Here's one of them...

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Hi Paul

A good start with a male Common whitetail. Try going manual focus. As you found out on your pond trip, AF isn't too useful for closeups of insects!

Cheers,

Larry

excellent capture and the bokeh is great!
Thanks! The Sigma does give a rather nice bokeh.

Very nice, Paul. He looks really healthy and meaty :smile:
I'm sure some dragonfly eating creature is salivating at the prospect of eating this guy.

Hi Paul

A good start with a male Common whitetail. Try going manual focus. As you found out on your pond trip, AF isn't too useful for closeups of insects!

Cheers,

Larry
Thanks for identifying it for me, Larry.

Paul,
Nice start. I would definately go with manual focus as Larry stated.
Thanks. A question for both you and Larry - why go manual focus instead of auto focus? Once you get the hang of it, is manual focus that much faster?

Nice start. With MF you can focus on the eyes immidiately instead of changing focus points all the time. Remember that when you get this close the DOF is very narrow.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom