Garden visitor

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by PhotogWannabe, Jul 12, 2008.

1. PhotogWannabe

PhotogWannabe

Mar 19, 2007
    BC
    I went to a pond not far from me in hopes of getting some dragonfly photos after seeing all the lovely shots here. It was very frustrating as I only had a 80-200 2.8 to use and it seemed to want to focus on back wings instead of the body even though the focus point was on the body. Oh well, so much for that idea. I went home and a few hours later started up the bbq for supper. I took the camera out with me (with the Sigma 105 on it) because we have a clematis that has just taken off this year and I wanted to try and get some pictures of its deep purple blooms. Lo, and behold, a couple of dragonflys were flitting about the garden and stopped just long enough for a couple of photos. Here's one of them...

2661283429_8de3f3cdca_o.jpg

2. monkay

monkay

Jun 12, 2008
    New Jersey
    excellent capture and the bokeh is great!

3. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Very nice, Paul. He looks really healthy and meaty :smile:

4. Hi Paul

A good start with a male Common whitetail. Try going manual focus. As you found out on your pond trip, AF isn't too useful for closeups of insects!

Cheers,

Larry

5. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Paul,
    Nice start. I would definately go with manual focus as Larry stated.

6. PhotogWannabe

PhotogWannabe

Mar 19, 2007
    BC
    Thanks! The Sigma does give a rather nice bokeh.

I'm sure some dragonfly eating creature is salivating at the prospect of eating this guy.

Thanks for identifying it for me, Larry.

Thanks. A question for both you and Larry - why go manual focus instead of auto focus? Once you get the hang of it, is manual focus that much faster?

7. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Nice start. With MF you can focus on the eyes immidiately instead of changing focus points all the time. Remember that when you get this close the DOF is very narrow.