Gardens and Castles of Germany IV: Castles of Bavaria

From Lindau am Bodensee we journeyed to Garmisch-Partenkirchen, stopping at three famous castles along the way: Hohenschangau, Neuschwanstein, and Linderhof. The common thread is King Ludwig II of Bavaria. He lived in all three, and built two: Neuschwanstein and Linderhof.

Almost everyone is familiar with the iconic image of Neuschwanstein:

601676033_6H3fm-O.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Not as many are familiar with Hohenschwangau, built on a neighboring hill and predating Neuschwanstein:

601676019_wVsd5-O.jpg

In fact, while touring the interior of Hohenschwangau, one gets a view through a stairway window on Neuschwanstein:

603699831_LSBUP-O.jpg

We drove on to Linderhof, which is the most exquisite of the three. Certainly it has the most elaborate gardens.

601675991_r4dea-O.jpg

601675920_Z93Ju-O.jpg

601675862_EhMq9-O.jpg

601675897_MixiF-O.jpg
`

Hi Jim,
this is a great series. I have been there many years ago, and you now have reminded me to return anytime soon:smile:.

I love the walkway around Linderhof just to the right of the 3rd Linderhof photo. They go up the hill towards the grotto and the tea house!

How did you enjoy GAP? I go there for work quite a bit during the winter months so I've seen it as a tourist and kind of as a local. Winter is by far the best time to visit.

Did you by chance get to stop a the Ettal Monastery - fantastic wood shops there as well as good beer. It's on the way from GAP to Linderhof.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Jim - this is a fabulous, fabulous series!! The photos of the castles are stunning and the gardens? Wow...

Thanks to you, I know where I'm headed next year!!

I love the walkway around Linderhof just to the right of the 3rd Linderhof photo. They go up the hill towards the grotto and the tea house!

How did you enjoy GAP? I go there for work quite a bit during the winter months so I've seen it as a tourist and kind of as a local. Winter is by far the best time to visit.

Did you by chance get to stop a the Ettal Monastery - fantastic wood shops there as well as good beer. It's on the way from GAP to Linderhof.

We did take that walk, Cole, and visited the Moorish kiosk (pictured below), and the grotto.

601676122_rMyCB-O.jpg

We enjoyed Garmisch - Partenkirchen but were there for only two nights and were away each day. My next photo thread will be Garmisch and Innsbruck. We passed through Ettal, but didn't stop, but I do remember recording a mental note to return sometime. Looks like a neat little town.

Never heard of Linderhof. Looks like a real gem. Thanks for sharing!

You should see it, Daniel!

Jim - this is a fabulous, fabulous series!! The photos of the castles are stunning and the gardens? Wow...

Thanks to you, I know where I'm headed next year!!

Glad you're enjoying them, Lyndee. There are several more threads to come.

M

MRCPix

thanks for sharing I spent three years in Germany and went to many of the castles and Linderhof was my favorite. The three casles here are what started me on my journey in photography in 1991.

Great images - thanks for posting!

I'm flying out tomorrow to Europe and we are scheduled to visit Hohenschangau and Neuschwanstein!

Excellent work! I've been to Germany but did not tour these castles, wish I did!

Who owned these and how did the afford them? I'm not up on German history.

Thanks for sharing.

thanks for sharing I spent three years in Germany and went to many of the castles and Linderhof was my favorite. The three casles here are what started me on my journey in photography in 1991.

Glad I could rekindle your memories! I agree with you about Linderhof.

Great images - thanks for posting!

I'm flying out tomorrow to Europe and we are scheduled to visit Hohenschangau and Neuschwanstein!

As I write this you are already traveling. Hope you're having a great trip and I look forward to your pictures.

Wow mesmerizing. I love seeing posts like this when the cubicle walls close in a little too tightly :)
R

Well it is nice to be able to provide a little vicarious travel to work-bound colleagues. Thanks for your kind remarks.

exquisite !!!!! would love to visit myself

Thank you for the comments.

Excellent work! I've been to Germany but did not tour these castles, wish I did!

Who owned these and how did the afford them? I'm not up on German history.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the compliments.

Read up on the kings of Bavaria. King Ludwig II (1845 – 1886)built Neuschwanstein and Linderhof; his father built Hohenschwangau.

These are great pictures. My wife and I have wanted to go to Europe, specifically Germany since she's never been there. I was there a number of years ago, but missed Hohenschwangau. I won't make that mistake again.

These are great pictures. My wife and I have wanted to go to Europe, specifically Germany since she's never been there. I was there a number of years ago, but missed Hohenschwangau. I won't make that mistake again.

wow great shots!

Thanks Jason and Hectic.

If you are interested in Germany, note that I posted about six additional threads from my trip. The castles are, of course, the most popular.

Real Name
Heiko
Ooooh, all these people trampling on my lawn grrrrrrr!

Now serious, these pictures are great! I've traveled a few times through that region but always on business never had time to actually visit these places. Actually, I'm born in Germany and grew up not so far from there.

Thanks for making me want to go there.

Latest threads

Top Bottom