1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Gardens and Castles of Germany V: Garmisch-Partenkirchen and Innsbruck

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by Pa, Jul 28, 2009.

1. After our day touring the castles (See part IV), we stopped in the ski village of Garmisch-Partenkirchen.

602753033_pCtG3-O.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

We spent two nights at the Gasthof Frauendorfer:

603742698_VND69-O.jpg

The window of our room afforded a beautiful view over the rooftops to the Zugspitze, the highest point of Germany

602752565_Pzg5h-O.jpg

We had a delicious repast at Gasthof zum Rassen

603742784_yVL7c-O.jpg

where many diners lingered into the evening hours

603765228_PnB5N-O.jpg

Next day we were up early for a day trip to Innsbruck, just over the border in Austria. Unfortunately Mother Nature had a wet day planned, so we began in St. Jakob's church

602753072_cD8Bq-O.jpg

602752920_pXG5M-O.jpg

We then got out the umbrellas to see the main square and the famous "Goldenes Dachl", or golden roof

602752881_EAgVe-O.jpg

That evening we returned to Garmisch for another great meal, this time in our hotel, and accompanied by Bavarian dancing.

602752528_d2vCq-O.jpg

Next: On to Munich.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2009
  2. CHRONIC

CHRONIC

Jan 21, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    great stuff, jim. looks like an awesome trip so far, can't wait to see the rest of germany. thanks again for sharing.

3. A very Bavarian looking episode :smile:
    The view at the Zugspitze is amazing (for me from the flat lands) although I find the roof tops not very attractive. (not your fault)

4. Thanks, Henry. Only Munich and Berlin to go on this trip (plus a day-trip to Salzburg, Austria).

Yup, Bavarian it is. And you're right about the rooftops. I debated about including that photo but it was the only decent image of the Zugspitze in the lot.

5. Love the photos! It's interesting to look at things I see pretty often from someone elses eye.

6. Rosa Chinensis

Rosa Chinensis

Aug 25, 2007
    Virginia
    #3 is definitely my favorite. The contrast just catches my eyes.

Thanks for sharing,
    R

7. Thanks, Cole. I would feel the same thing about a German's view of Virginia!

Thanks, Rosa.

8. murreywalker

murreywalker

Mar 25, 2005
    My wife and I have done the very same trip of Bavaria.

Shame on you! I want to go back!

Great shots and wonderful series, Jim!

9. Nice photos, they look like you are right there......

Elliot

10. JusPlainCrayzee

JusPlainCrayzee Administrator Administrator

I don't know how I missed seeing this segment of your trip. I'm glad I did though, and as usual, the photos were superb. The one of St. Jakob's Church is amazing.

Well done, Jim!

11. Great photos which bring back a lot of memories. We used to go skiing in Garmish when I was stationed in Germany in the 60's and took my wife there in 74 for vacation. Much of it looks the same, will have to get the projector and old Kodachrome slides out to night and compare. But dosen't look likes its changed very much, and I have shotos of a lot of the sme buildings. Keep them comming.

12. bqv1910

bqv1910

Aug 28, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Very nice pics

13. Thanks for sharing about your travels. The pictures of St. Jakob's are great. I remember it being one of my favorite churches when I visited.

14. absolutic

absolutic

Apr 26, 2009
    Los Angeles
    The kid dancing ...was my favorite

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.