1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Gardens and Castles of Germany VI: Munich and Salzburg (many images!)

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by Pa, Aug 6, 2009.

1. I appreciate those who stayed with me through installments I - V. After a pause to catch my breath, I'm back with episode VI.

We arrived in Munich at midday with harsh light, and there was a big demonstration in process in the Marienplatz by a union of public teachers. They were very loud and clogged the streets, so we sought refuge in a church - Peterskirche, to be specific. Fodor's guide says: "The rich baroque interior has a magnificent late-Gothic high altar and aisle pillars decorated with exquisite 18th-century figures of the apostles".

606485541_d9TMv-O.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

605299845_8zNtV-O.jpg

After a brief lunch break, we proceeded to the Nymphenburg Palace on the outskirts of Munich. The palace was commissioned in 1664 by Elector Ferdinand Maria, to celebrate the birth of his son, Maximilian Emanuel. Over the following centuries at least five of the ruling Wittelsbach family of Bavaria had a hand in expanding it. Again, quoting Fodor's guide: "This glorious baroque and rococo palace is the largest of its kind in Germany, stretching more than 1 km (½ mi) from one wing to the other".

609862409_qV7k7-O.jpg

605299957_EeM5g-O.jpg

"Within the original building, now the central axis of the palace complex, is a magnificent hall, the Steinerner Saal, extending over two floors and richly decorated with stucco and grandiose frescoes. "

605299799_ghueq-O.jpg

The rear of the palace overlooks an immense formal baroque garden:

605299767_4m7z5-O.jpg

The baroque garden is surrounded by a classic English garden full of sylvan scenes such as this:

605300319_WkELR-O.jpg

The view of the palace from the rear is perhaps more impressive than the front.

605299926_2BVzF-O.jpg

On the way back into the city we stopped by a "Schreber" garden. These are small plots leased by individual families where they putter around with plantings on evenings and weekends. This one is typical:

605299900_MhGZE-O.jpg

After a wonderful repast in downtown Munich at Weinhaus Neuner, we slept well and started out the next day for Salzburg, Austria. Our first stop was the Mirabell Garden.

605348832_kxSFK-O.jpg

Market square in Salzburg. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart was born in 1756 in the house on the left with the gold trim.

605349078_AjngW-O.jpg

Salzburg Cathedral is another beautiful baroque church:

605348680_SYBD6-O.jpg

605348783_q5YZ4-O.jpg

Salzburg street scene:

605349058_3EA4Q-O.jpg

In the afternoon, we visited the gardens of Hellbrunn Palace, built by the Archbishop of Salzburg around 1615.

605348888_p2mxE-O.jpg

Portions of the movie "The Sound of Music" were filmed here. Fans of that movie may recognize the pavilion where Julie Andrews sang "I am sixteen going on seventeen":

[​IMG]

Back in Munich, we dined that evening at the Augustiner-Brau Keller

605348725_MKDtG-O.jpg

605348699_muRGa-O.jpg

...on some hearty Bavarian fare:

605349056_wE8FG-O.jpg

...accompanied by an equally hearty and flavorful Augustiner beer.

The next day was cold and rainy, so we toured art museums.

Next: On to Berlin.

2. Awesome series.. Lots of images

3. JusPlainCrayzee

JusPlainCrayzee Administrator Administrator

I feel like I've been to Germany right along with you. Your photos are fantastic! Thanks so much for the travelogue.

BTW - the Peterskirche church?? Amazing!!!

4. Thanks, Eric. At least, you were warned!

Thanks again, Lyndee. The baroque churches of Austria and Bavaria are all wonderful.

5. Thanks for the nice images, Jim. I already was in Munich but didn't had the opportunity to stroll through the city. Very baroque.... :smile: The streets of Salzburg are impressive too.
    I'm curious of the views of Berlin you captured. :wink:

6. Hi Jim,

We are enjoying your trip photos. It is always nice to have someone check out one of the many places we want to visit, but have not yet had the chance to get there.

We keep trying to go to the difficult to reach places while we are still in good shape and hold the somewhat tamer places for later, but it seems like we have been following each other a bit over the last 4 years or so: Alaska, Chile, New Zealand...

Bob & Nan

7. Thanks, Daniel. Don't get your hopes up for our Berlin photos; they won't compare to yours.

Thanks, Bob; that's a good plan, and we have been doing some of the same (Alaska fishing, etc.), but our next-door neighbor and good friend runs these garden tours and they are just too tempting!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.