Critique Garlic Head

When I removed the outer layer from this garlic head, it seemed especially photogenic. Then when I viewed the image file on my computer monitor, I realized the tear on one of the cloves could be an interesting subject itself. So, I made two photos of the same garlic head.

Setups
Photo #1: The background and tabletop are a single sheet of brown presentation paper. A flashlight on the right front lit the subject and a manilla envelope on the left, which cast warm tones on the subject.

Photo #2: The background and tabletop are a single sheet of translucent vellum. The main light is medium continuous-light lamp on the right and another on the left lifted the shadow tones on that side of the scene.

Focus Stacking
Photo #1: 21 focus-bracketed images at Camfi Ranger step size Small stacked in Helicon Focus at default settings.

Photo #2: The same as Photo #1 except that 21 focus-bracketed images were used.

Mike 2021-01-13--0002-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Mike 2021-01-13--0001-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Mike, I'm having trouble with the composition of the first one. The garlic seems to overwhelm the photo. The 2nd one works well for me. My eye rests on the tear and it seems better balanced. I especially like the color tone of the 2nd one. It works well with this photo.

Only a completely crazy person would take the time to light and photograph garlic.
Only an even more crazy person would actually enjoy looking at it, that would be me.
Art is everywhere.
I like the b/w rendering myself.
Gary

I love the character, lighting and tint of #2. Yes, the tear holds my eye.
#1 is a wonderful color, but I find my self looking for more. The smooth cloves in front are a nice contrast to the rougher one in the back, but there is too much out of the frame for my liking.

PS: I happen to love garlic.

Mike your studio work is a thesis on paying attention to details that most people never take the time to appreciate. There are wonders all around us every day. I agree with the prior comment about the composition being a little tight in no.1. IMO a bit of space on bottom and left might have been worth exploring. No.2 works as is.

Thank you to Miriam, Gary, Nick, Terri and Dan!

#1 is a wonderful color, but I find my self looking for more.
Those are exactly my thoughts. I envisioned the image in the first place with that kind of color and warmth and I succeeded with that look. Unfortunately, color photos require more than just attractive color to be top notch and I don't see anything else that's top notch in that first photo.

I never planned on adding the first photo to my website's gallery of fine art food photography but wondered if the consensus of everyone viewing it here would agree with me that it's inadequate. I rarely post photos for critique that I'm not sold on and it will probably be a very long time before I do that again.

My eye rests on the tear
the tear holds my eye.
I feel the same way about that tear in the second photo and continue to be amazed that something so simple can be such a strong compositional element.

Unlike the first photo, I'm happy to add this second photo to my website.

Last edited:

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Mike, how do got the color in shot #1.
I'm a bit curious, because I never ever had seen a golden garlic like yours. Is it a golden reflector or is that kind of garlic golden.
I onkly knoe the white ones and the ones with a little bit of violet in it.

Kind regards
Klaus

Mike, how do got the color in shot #1.
I'm a bit curious, because I never ever had seen a golden garlic like yours. Is it a golden reflector or is that kind of garlic golden.
From the first post in the thread: "A flashlight on the right front lit the subject and a manilla envelope on the left, which cast warm tones on the subject." Now that I'm able to make photos of the setups, it will be nice that people don't have to follow the detailed explanations of them.

the ones with a little bit of violet in it.
I never noticed that color in garlic and I'd love to photograph it.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom