Gatebeck Tarn Fishery

Some shots from a local privately-owned coarse fishery. The owner kindly allowed me to walk around, or rather partly around, because we have had so much rain lately the tarn is at least a metre deeper than usual and parts of the path are inundated. Still, the sprinkling of snow that had fallen and was still falling as I was there helped to make the scene so much more attractive. All taken with the Fuji X100V.

50866901232_ad0d6d5c95_h.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Gatebeck Tarn 2 by warth man, on Flickr

50866085193_5b40143a15_h.jpg
Gatebeck Tarn 4 by warth man, on Flickr

50866901987_2d132e277b_h.jpg
Gatebeck Tarn 7 by warth man, on Flickr

50866801096_02f5993c0c_h.jpg
Gatebeck Tarn 6 by warth man, on Flickr

Real Name
Dan
All nicely composed images. I like no.2 best as the boat provides the most interesting foreground.

I'm struggling with that old trans-Atlantic language barrier. What's a tarn? Over here that's what we would call a small mountain lake. And what's a coarse fishery? Most commercial fisherman I've known are fairly coarse but never heard of a coarse fishery :D

I also wondered about that. It's explained at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coarse_fishing

That's about what I expected. But there is one error in that Wikipedia article: " Freshwater game fish are all salmonids..." Many people consider the various species of freshwater bass and sunfish to be gamefish. They are definitely not salmonids.

But I apologize for leading the conversation away from Ron's excellent photographs.

Wow! Thank you for all the great comments and for the front page nomination. Re the questions: you have it right Dan - a tarn is basically a small lake or pond, usually up in the hills and mountains around here. This one happens to be low down, in fact at the bottom of the hill I live on. Coarse fish here are all freshwater fish apart from game fish, which are salmon, trout, sea trout and char in the UK. In a slight twist, although two of those, salmon and sea trout, are also found in the sea, you aren't "game fishing" for them unless they are in fresh water. As I understand it anyway. Coarse fishermen can be coarse, of course, but I've known a few game anglers to be coarse too! Especially when losing a fish. It has generally been the rule here, for many years, for coarse fishermen to return their catch to the water.

Thank you all again for the comments.

Latest threads

Top Bottom