Gateway 22"?

Discussion in 'Printers, Monitors, and Color Management' started by Marco, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Marco

Marco

Sep 25, 2006
    Washington D.C.
    I just bought a Gateway FPD2275W 22". I have not tested it yet but want to see if anyone has experience with this monitor in regards to using it for their photo work. I've seen reviews but mostly for gaming.

I bought it from Compusa for $319.99.

Thanks

2. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Marco,

Please refer to the following link from ShootSmarter in comparing monitors for photographers. Item #4 is relevant for you. It might read as snobish but I have always found Will Crocket's advice, and that given at ShootSmarter, to be fairly unbiased and accurate. Their entire gig is aimed at photographer's needs, not the general computing public.

I probably shouldn't point you in this direction but CompUSA does have a pretty good return policy. You might want to exercise that and consider something else.

http://www.shootsmarter.com/monitorcentral.html

3. Marco

Marco

Sep 25, 2006
    Washington D.C.
    Thanks! I definitely would want one of those Eizos but my budget does not permit it at the moment.

I very rarely print my photographs with a personal printer. I usually send my corrected photos to a client (so far so good). Or I send my prints to a lab and usually they get the colors right on (how I want it).

Question is, do I really need an accurate (close to precise) $$$ monitor then? I do calibrate the monitor but of course it's not a pro monitor. I think down the road when I get more return on investment and have extra $$$ floating around then I'll consider the $1,500+ monitors.

4. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Youy'll probably be fine.

I agonized over posting the above cause it probably sounded snooty. You don't need state of the art to get by, it just helps if you shoot and edit a lot for print.

5. Took a look at that link, and "snobish" is a mild term!! I guess my 56+ year old eyes are just not that good anymore!!

A color corrected Dell (20" now, to be replaced by a 24" tomorrow!!) works just fine for me!!

Ken

6. zzhangz

zzhangz Guest

Don't consider any 22" LCD. They are TN panel, only 6bit color.

7. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Ken, if working professionally, selecting the right tools makes a lot of difference. The SmartShooter guys are attuned to the needs of the photographer in matching on screen view to printed output. If someone doesn't print work often, and many don't; almost any display will work for producing webcentric imagery.