gave in to lens lust

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by fks, May 22, 2005.

1. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    i have the winning bid on ebay for a 300mm f/2.8 manual focus lens. i didn't really need one (my 300mm f/4 AF does fine), but i've been itching to try one out 8) probably won't be that good for sports, since my manual focusing skills have never been good, even on the brightest days with a large viewfinder!

worst case, i can sell it back on ebay or craigslist.

ugh, ebay is just too convenient :twisted:

2. How much was your bid?

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    It might work well with the trap-focus method.

4. GeneR

GeneR Guest

How do you like the 300 f/4? I've been contemplating that lens.

Thanks,

Gene

5. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi anthony-

about $600. glass is supposed to be clean, body is in used condition. it doesn't come with the hard case though ($300 on b&h!).

hi chris-

i've read about that some time ago but haven't gotten around to actually trying it. for racetrack photos i use pre-focusing most of the time, so it shouldn't be a problem.

it's just me and my MF skills, need to work on those.

hi gene-

the 300mm f/4 AF is a great lens image-wise (sharpness, contrast), and it's small and light (compared to any of the f/2.8 teles). it's slow to focus, even on a d1 or d1 series body. the AF-S version is supposed to have the same image quality but much faster focus.

apologies for the quality of these images, they've been compressed quite a bit to reduce space:

[​IMG]

original.

original.

original.

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Oooh yeah! I'm gonna be on the beach before this week is over!

7. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Chris,

I'll look for your new avatar soon. I"m sure you'll have one of you at the beach...

I always look forward to your posts and your avatars :lol:

Gaye