Gaye's Monday Adventure

Discussion in 'Birds' started by GeeJay, Mar 14, 2005.

1. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Today I went back up to the Venice Rookery. There were more birds and chicks than ever.

You can see the little island rookery in the first picture. It's very small. You can't see the large number of birds that populate the island in this picture. Some are away fishing and others are hidden in the mangrove..I think it's mangrove...regardless, it covers the island and is great protection for the birds. The alligators protect the island from predators.

Here are some of the pictures.. All taken with the 200-400VR with the Nikon 1.4 TC attached.

One picture shows a Great Blue Heron chick trying out his wings. He didn't fly..he just flapped his wings and pretended.

Best to you and I learn from your comments so please do.

Gaye

17526893-L.

17526900-L.

17526904-L.

17526894-L.

17526902-L.

2. No critique, just accolades Gaye. You have really done well with this series of shots, I love them.

3. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Gaye...
    I love the egrett shots.

You're making me homesick for Florida and I don't even live ther!

4. Gale,

Wonderful shots. That must of been a lot of fun sitting there on the bank shooting them on the island!! :D :D :D :D

5. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Thank you, Gordon,Jim and Photodawg,

Your comments have really made my day! When I post pictures I really have no idea what the reaction will be from you all and I want real, honest to goodness comments....so I'm pleased that you like the pictures.

It hardly seems fair to stand there and shoot across water into the lives of the wonderful birds on the island rookery. But I don't think about that when I"m there.. It sure beats chasing birds around the wildlife preserves.

I hope to go back one more time in March. February and March are the best times because of the chick population.

Thanks for your nice comments,

Gaye

6. Thanks for sharign these they are vey cool must be cool to watch the famlies interact

7. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Mike,
    That's exactly right. It's the interaction that so fascinating about the rookery island........ the nests are quite close together but each bird family does its own thing separate from the other families...very interesting and worthwhile.

Thanks and best to you,
    Gaye

8. DOH!! I meant to say Gaye not Gale........SORRY!!! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Gaye,

These are some of the best that you have shot, and the processing is very good too. I'm just amazed at the progress that you have made in just a couple of months. You must be very pleased and proud.... :)

Wow.... :wink:

Frank

10. excellent Gaye, I especially like that last shot with the scrawny little one, how cute!!

11. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Frank,
    Thanks for your great comments :!:

I didn't think these were all that good but I've certainly enjoyed the comments.

You'd go nuts at this rookery in Venice...so next time you come down here we'll go there. It's best in February and March because the chicks cover the island..It's very small but packed with bird families and chicks.

It truly 'makes my heart sing' when I go there :D

Thanks again,
    Gaye

12. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Janet,

You'd go nuts at this rookery. The little chicks couldn't be cuter and it's fun to watch them interact with the adults. They're all very demanding and all are screaming for food all the time.

The sound coming from the island almost has a rhythm to it and the island 'swings'....

That little Egret chick is the cutest. I had hoped to have two heads pop up but it seemed after awhile there was only one chick...it couldn't have been cuter and I"m just glad I got this shot of it....

Thanks for your nice comment.

Best to you,

Gaye

13. nice series, I really like the last one with the chick looking up. Must have been a fun shoot.

14. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Super Duper shots, GJ!

Man, you guys are so lucky to have all this great wildlife so close! I tell, ya, I'm really seriously considering wintering in Fla next winter. Know where I can rent a nice house with a fenced in yard?

15. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Harris,
    Thanks and YES, it was a very productive and fun shoot.

I certainly hope you can get here to see this place where the birds hang out with their chicks. It's just over an hour north of Ft Myers.

I'm hoping to get you, Harry and others over here next Feb...

How is Mary?

Your posts are great.. I search for all of them,

Best to you,
    Gaye

16. GeeJay, terrific shots! Looks like you enjoy the Rookery eh, you can tell by these images!

17. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Steve,
    There are lots of houses to rent down here...also condos... and you can take pictures for free so come on down... you only have to decide between east coast or west coast of Florida...

Hope you do make it next winter,

Gaye

18. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    I wear I gotta do it next winter, GJ

You know, I wonder aobut this east coast vs west coast thing. Is the weather better on one side or another? Since there are so many photogs I know from this board on the east coast, and I only have a 2nd cousin over on the west coast, who isn't a bit into photography, I think that decision would be pretty easy. Are you somewhere near Harris?

19. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Steve,
    I'm actually on the west coast in Fort Myers. Been here 33 years. We think of the east coast as being very congested compared to this coast..but during the season this place is starting to jump with snowbirds.

You're right about the photogs over on the east coast. They all came over here in November to the Ding Darling/Rezinck workshop..that's how I met the east coast folks...

You'll enjoy either coast but sounds like you'd be kept very busy in the swamps and marshes with Harris and Harry around.. You all can come over here to visit and we'll have a session here...

Gaye

20. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    OMG Gaye,

THEY ARE BEAUTIFUL.

Gale