Gazanias

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Gilles, Jun 17, 2005.

1. First picture taken this year of those flowers

[​IMG]

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Excellent.
    Good composition.
    Good color.

3. gazanias different angle

[​IMG]

orange one

[​IMG]

Yellow

[​IMG]

4. Gilles, these are very unusual flowers (for me anyway) and wonderful photos! One comment: The centers on the first couple look a bit blurry. Is that the way the flowers are? The 2nd shot has a lot of dof but yet the centers are kinda blurry. I know it's not my eyes cuz the water drops are razor sharp! ;) The last one is very sharp, too!

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very vivid shots Gilles. I had a similar problem with what appeared to be OOF flower centers on some shots that I took of a Musk Thistle. They actually were in focus, but still looked soft in the middle. Don't know why though.

6. Thank you Kevin and Flew for your comments, I will try to retake the photo this morning to see if I can have the center of the photo sharp but in order to do that I think I will have to change the angle to the sun that I take the photo, as for the water drops that's the best one yet but what I am looking to do is again change the angle to the sun so as to have the drops of water to have a kind of jewels look.

The problem with the gazania is right now they are close, I will have to wait that they warmed up and have a little more sun so they can open. I don't have to much room to take the picture because they are very close to the bottom of the patio, as you can see in the last picture taken in the shade I put a color carton in the back so as not to see the wood.

I must say that the beauty of a picture is due about 20% for the camera/lens combo and 80% to the quality of light.

7. That is the closest I can get without projecting the shadow of the lenshood on the flower.

[​IMG]

Without lenshood

[​IMG]

Are there details in that orange flower

[​IMG]

I should at least have taken the dead grass out

[​IMG]

8. Do you think I can take better pictures with a DSLR and which one?

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Gilles,

Not necessarily. Many people get better pictures with medium to high end P&S cameras than I do with my expensive gear, especially in the area of macros. The reason is that they are better photographers.

In addition, the advantages of detachable / swappable lenses is much less when you are shooting in the native range of a P&S camera / lens. You can certainly get wonderful macro shots with the right SLR equipment, but you may end up spending 3X to 10X more for marginal benefits.

That being said, I love mine.... :lol:

Very nice images BTW.

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Gilles,

You did ask another question that I didn't answer. If you are interested in getting a DSLR for macro work, and want to spend as little as possible while still getting a quality set-up, I would look at the Nikon D50 or D70 or D70s and the Nikon 60mm or Tamron 90mm Micro lens or the Canon 350D and the equivalent Canon or Tamron macro lenses.

You don't have to upgrade to a DSLR to get great macro shots though. You and many others have proven that. ;-)

Hope this helps.

11. Frank it's not a question of money rather of convenience, to do the close-up of the gazania i have to put the lens in the flower, and those flower don't open before 10 am and are close at 3 pm, at those time the angle of the sun is pretty near directly over the flower which give me no choice.

12. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Gilles,

Then a DSLR would definitely give you much greater flexibility. There are several Nikon or third party lenses that have working distances of up to 12 - 20 inches. These include the Nikon 200mm for sure, or you can use the Nikon 70-200VR with a Canon 500D close-up adapter, or you can use Kenko extension tubes with several very good lenses for excellent macro results and good working distances.

The Tamron 90mm, the Nikon 105mm, the Nikon 70-180mm are other good to excellent macro lenses, but I am not familiar with their working distances. Perhaps other members can add their personal experience with these lenses.

Hope this helps.

13. Frank next week i will go the store to see what lens they have, the 200 micro-nikkor will be my first choice.

14. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    That one is certainly on my list. :wink:

Let us know what you decide.

15. One taken yesterday

[​IMG]

16. regit

regit

Jan 31, 2005
    Beautiful stuff :) As per your signature... "Critique needed to improve my way of seeing things."... Why not try not seeing them "head-on"? Like from the side, the bottom, the back, 1/4 view ... These perspectives may give you interesting views of them.

17. Regit very good suggestions, as for taking picture of the flower from the bottom that would be difficult as the flower is only about 6-7 inches from the ground, if I had grown them in a flower box that would have been easier.

18. regit

regit

Jan 31, 2005
    Don't let that stop you :) You can overcome this by getting the DR-5/6 right-angle viewer. It is not only good for micro/marco, it will give you new perspective on other kind of work as well. With their 2x magnification, they can be good focusing aids too :)

19. Regit right know I am only using the digital camera that I have the much hate camera the 5700, I read so many comment about it that it cannot shot a sharp picture. The only thing I really hate of the camera is it's so slow.

20. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Gilles,

I've heard mostly very good comments on the 5700, and I've seen some pretty good shots, including yours. The main thing that a DSLR gives you is the ability to change lenses. They also generally have lower noise, but sharpness isn't normally a problem. Look at the shots that Leigh is getting with her 8800.