GBH & a Limpkin

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Kevin Scott, Nov 4, 2005.

1. Just a few more shots to post up for you that were taken recently and I finally got around to processing. I took these at a local park in Hunter's Creek that I used to live in.

Great Blue Heron on the prowl
    [​IMG]

Haven't seen many Limpkins posted recently so here's my contribution. He landed about 15 ft away from me on the rail of the little bridge. Their coloration is so interesting.
    [​IMG]

The background of this one is a secondary pond that apparently was covered with some sort of algae. The color in this shot is as is and not manipulated at all. I thought it made for an interesting and rather unusual shot.
    [​IMG]

This weekend the weather is supposed to be perfect so I'm anxious to get out and get some more practice. Have a great weekend, everyone!!

2. Kevin
    once again some very nice shots. the Limpkin is an outstanding image, nailed the exposure on that one!
    have a good shoot tommorrow
    dave

3. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Hey Kevin I noticed in one of your replies to my recent post you said something about crawling under a rock ................ got room there for me !! :biggrin: :biggrin:

great stuff Kevin, really like the Limpkin

4. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Super job on these, Kevin! Love that little Limpkin. Can't wait to get one of my own!

5. Thanks, Dave! I don't get to see Limpkins very often so I was pleased to get a halfway decent shot of him.

Had a great day of shooting with Gale yesterday. Now I've got tons of shots to go through again! :redface:

6. Ha ha ha....yeah right!!

Still hoping you can make it out of Merritt Island III! I could use the good luck you seem to always have on bird sightings. Yesterday was kind of a bust with Gale at Viera.

[edit: bust in the sense of not a great variety of birds to shoot. But a bad day at Viera is still a great day in general!]

7. Hey Steve! Thanks for commenting and looking. Hope you've settled in and are finding some good bird places with Harris. Look forward to meeting up with you one day soon!

8. When I was at Merritt the Limpkin evaded me hopefully this year I will get him. Great shot sI always look forward to your posts

9. Gale & I finally found the elusive Limpkin yesterday at Viera as we made our last round before heading out. I won't post mine but you should check her's out! Thanks for the kind words, Mike. Coming from you that's quite the compliment!

10. jaminphoto

jaminphoto

Jul 7, 2005
    SF Bay area
    The Limpkin shot is my favorite. Beautiful bird, beautiful photo.

--ricardo

11. Thanks Ricardo! I agree, the Limpkin is pretty cool. For some reason, most of my Limpkin shots have turned out well. Too bad the same isn't true for all the other bird varieties! Thanks for looking!

12. Kevin, I sure do like your picture of the Limpkin. I have never seen one. Looks pretty neat. Nice job on all.

13. Thanks, Jim! Limpkins are pretty cool even though they're a little bit difficult to find. Appreciate you taking time to comment!

14. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I missed this one somehow the first time around Kevin. Of course you know that I like the GBH's, but I really like the Limpkin. We don't have those here. :rolleyes:

Nicely done. :smile:

15. Not a problem, Frank! With the number of great postings lately, it's hard to keep up with them! I'm kind of partial to the Limpkins myself. Not sure why since they're rather bland but the shots seem to always come out really nice!

16. Callie

Callie Guest

Hi Kevin
    Just super
    Do not know the Limpkin - is it a type of ibis? It has the same jist as a glossy, which I think you guys also get. Only the sharp bill throws me TFS, a great pic and new bird too.
    As for the yucky water, ours are somtimes also a poison green, sometimes nearly red, depends on time of year or place too.

17. Hi Callie! Thanks again for taking the time to comment on my shots!

I don't really know much about this bird but I did a google search and came up with this link. Maybe I should start brushing up on these species and providing information along with the shots. :redface: