GBH at the Rookery - 05/11/2005 on the way home....live link

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Retief, May 12, 2005.

1. UPDATE: One of the folks I was with yesterday just pointed me to this link which includes a live web-cams into this rookery:
    http://wdfw.wa.gov/wildwatch/heroncam/

Rumor has it that these birds may be leaving in a couple of weeks.

Well, it seems that I keep looking "far away" for places to shoot but continue to have local places just fall into my lap. City of Kenmore, behind the King County Sheriff station and the Metro Park and Ride is a Heron Rookery. I have heard "rumors" about this place the last couple of years but never got directions. Then a friend did and he went by the other day. A few of us met there yesterday, and the only unfortunate thing was the overcast condition. I'll try again today or tomorrow if the sun comes out as well, but I'm not totally unhappy with these. From where we were we could see about 6 nests with chicks, although all of the nest shots are from one nest that was out in the open. The adults fly across the way to Lake Washington and bring food back to the chicks.

Critique away, chuckle or whatever :wink:

"Heading out for the groceries":
    DSC7235Frame.sized.

"Incoming"
    DSC7243Frame.sized.

"Touchdown for Dinner"
    DSC7244Frame.sized.

"Feed me, Seymour, Feed Me!"
    DSC7262Frame.sized.

"Yum-yum-yummy"
    DSC7273Frame.sized.

"Honest, I can stop....."
    DSC7302Frame.sized.

"See, smooth landing...."
    DSC7307Frame.sized.

"Family Discussion"
    DSC7316Frame.sized.

"Heading out for More"
    DSC7323Frame.sized.

2. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    very nice. you lucky guy. I like the third one the best. shows a lot of motion.

3. Those are great shots. Getting shots of the chicks and the parents like that are not an easy task. I bet you had to wait a while to get them.
    Pete

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Dewey does it again.

Like them all Bill.

Boy they never get full do they.

5. WOW, I wish my drive home was that exciting!! Good goin' Bill!! :D :D :D :D

6. Some great shots Bill, I really liked this series.

7. Great series Bill! Those youngsters are already a pretty good size. Hope the weather cooperates for you.

8. Thanks for these, Bill. Great shots, and shows a lot about GBHs and families.

9. Thanks, Greg. What amazes me about that is the way the chest feathers are so fluffed out and in disarray. Almost looks like there was a tail wind, but the feathers on the head go the other way. We were really luck, I think, to be where we were.

10. Thanks, Pete. I got set up around 5:00PM and most of the activity was between 5:15PM and a bit after 6:00PM if I remember correctly, so the wait was not too bad. What really helped is the local knowledge that these birds feed their young at this time every day. I am going to edit the original post and put up the link to the live web cams for the area.

What continues to fascinate me is finding places like this that are not "out in the country", but right in the middle of Yuppie-Ville :lol:

11. Bill, what wonderful nature shots that tell a great story. Very nice photography as well. Way to go.

12. In reality, Dewey gets Lucky Again :lol: . I just can't believe how many of these local places I have stumbled on this year. Heck, places like this I have the easy job, set up and wait :wink: .

As to never getting full, I was actually very surprised to not see much more active feeding going on. Maybe it was the overcast day or something, I really don't know, but I'm happy we caught what we did.

Thanks, Gale.

13. Bryan, Harris, Dennis, Sandi and Gordon, thanks for the kind words.

This year has been such a surprise to just have these local spots "show up out of nowhere", when in reallity they have been there all along, I was just to dumb to notice. Consider that this rookery is fenced off from a very busy Park and Ride, a County Sheriff station and apartment buildings. Not exactly "out in the boonies", eh?

If I keep finding places like this, and such great opportunities, I may have to quit complaining about all those Disney trained birds that the Florida folks have :lol: :lol: Nah, I've never let reality get in the way of a good "whine" before, so why start now :?: :?: :wink:

I am editing the first post to add a link to a series of live Web Cams from here, one of which is to this rookery. Take a look, it is pretty neat.

Thanks again, all.

14. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Bill,

I am soooo jealous. These are great shots. I love the images of the chicks, and of course, being Flew, I like the flight shots as well. 8)

You lucky dog.

15. Bill,
    Absolutely wonderful series. I felt like I was there.

16. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Awesome shots, Bill! Great series!

17. Thanks, Frank. One real problem with any "free flight" shots at this spot is that there is very limited clear sky to be seen, and you know how much fun it is just trying to find a danged flying bird with these long lenses. What is pretty cool, though, is to walk into the Sheriff's office and see the Live Nest Cam display in the lobby. Not you normal "Cop Shop" art :lol:

As to "lucky", you must be anxious for your trip down South, eh?

18. Thanks, Dave and Don, much appreciated.

Don, what is the bird in your Avatar, an Egret? Tired and old eyes have trouble these days "seeing small" :wink:

Whatever it is, I like it.....

19. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    You better believe it. If I can just get through the user's conference next week (I'm the first technical presenter - yikes!!), and the roll out of our new products the following week, I'm going to turn it loose, and let everything hang out. :lol: