GBH Behavior Question

Discussion in 'Birds' started by drueter, Jun 5, 2007.

1. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    I'm wondering if some Great Blue Heron behavior I'm seeing lately is unusual or if others have seen it. A pair of GBH have built a nest in a tall pine tree behind my home and appear to be going through mating rituals. What's unusual to me is:

the timing (they began in mid-May when most herons in south Texas were mating in March);
    the location (GBH typically nest in colonies or a rookery type setting, while this one is a lone nest);
    and the lack of consistent attention to the nest (it's vacant most days for a few hours in late morning to early afternoon).

Here are a couple of example photos I've taken - can't get close or a look down perspective - nest is at top of a 75 foot pine tree about 250 feet from my deck, so I can only look up at it with a long lens.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have seen the pair mating recently.

I'm asking this question because I've never seen a lone GBH nest like this before. I've always seen them in places that look like this:

Taken late April at Bird Island, Lake Conroe, TX from a rocking pontoon boat (thank you active VR mode!)

[​IMG]

Anyone out there have any feedback?