GBH Exercise Routine

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Dave, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    I came across this Great Blue Heron the other day at the lake. I think I caught him in the middle of his Yoga session which he was just finishing up as I came around the lake to get a good shot of him with the sun at my back.

180mm; F/4; 1/1000s
    [​IMG]

Then he decides that's enough Yoga for today...

180mm; f/3.5; 1/800s
    [​IMG]

Time to go for a little fly...(take-off shot)

180mm; f/3.5; 1/800s
    [​IMG]

And lastly an in-flight shot.

180mm; f/3.5; 1/800s
    [​IMG]

All taken with the D50 and 180mm f/2.8 lens.

2. Great shots Dave.

3. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    These are very good images Dave! I've seen herons do that pose and have never read or heard the definitive answer about what they are actually doing.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I have also seen that. He sat in a tree for half an hour like that. Wonder if they are resting thier wings or cooling off:>))
    Looks funny as can be.

All of your shots are really good

5. Fabulous shot. A great lens in the possession of an obviously talented photographer. Continue the good work. I will forward you some shots from the 105 as well. With my best,

6. Fine looking series Dave

Those are really good from that lens

7. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Thanks all for your comments. Ever since I rented the 180 f/2.8 and saw shots from Uncle Frank and others with that lens I knew it was a great piece of glass. I'm fortunate I was able to acquire one.

As far as what the GBH was doing, I think it was sunning and trying to dry out it's wings. It's the only thing I can think of...but if he would have lifted his leg it really would have looked like he was meditating. :biggrin:

8. Nicely done peet!

9. Great captures, Dave. That's a funny pose.

10. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Interesting Gale...I guess they perform that pose for some purpose...who knows why though. The only thing I can think of is that they are stretching out their wings, or trying to dry them off a bit, maybe warm them up from the sun.