GBH - Just Minding my ownd Business ... when ...

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Retief, Jul 22, 2005.

1. from out of nowhere.....

SURPISE!!!!!!!
    DSC2564.sized.

This was the end of the day yesterday, sun was to the right and behind. I was able to position myself to not have the bird backlit. Cracked me up watching this BGH walk around on the lilly pads.

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Really cool shot Bill. Ain't nature great!! You can never tell when she will give us a surprise like this one. :wink:

3. Timign is everythign great capture Bill they sure amazing to watch

4. Neat shot and great timing, Bill! That little birdie was certainly brave. Not sure if the GBH would snatch him and have him for a snack but I certainly wouldn't want to take that chance. Love the expression on the GBH, too!

5. Nice capture Bill. Sorry I missed you last night. I did not have time to stop by. Maybe tonight if the weather gets better I will make a trip to Juanita.

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    GBH's are pretty laid back actually, unless another GWE or GBH gets in thier territory. I think they think the little birds are quite silly flying at them, as you can see by the look on his face. :>))))

What a great shot.

Good job.

7. Thanks, Frank. One of the funny parts of this was that I was ignoring this GBH as I was hoping for a Kingfisher to fly from that direction. It is also difficult at this location shooting that direction due to the setting sun. But I saw all of these little birds buzzing about and decided it was time to watch, and I'm glad I did....

Now, if I could just get a really good Osprey fishing sequence and one of those ding-dang flippy thingies :lol:

8. Mike and Kevin, thanks, much appreciated. One of the very unexpected things I have come to realize is that the behavior of the different birds is really neat to watch, and then trying to capture the "feeling" of that behavior is at least as challenging as catching a really good flight shot. I always like it when some new thing like that pops up for me, keeps me thinking and learning.

9. Thanks, Gale. I don't know if you remember the GBH images that Jim and I posted a while ago, folks referenced mine and caught my "Great White Balance Foo-Pah" :wink: by noticing that the GBH was rather blue. In that sequence we followed a GBH that was really being hassled by a couple of Red-Winged Black Birds. It was chased right out of one field into another. In that case I am pretty sure the GBH got close to a nest. What was very strange here is that this bird had been close to the shore, and was not bothered there at all. It didn't start until he walked out onto the lilly pads, well away from where a next would be.

Who knows, but it sure was fun to watch...

10. Lisa

Lisa

May 3, 2005
    IL
    Bill:

That's a great capture! The quizzical look on the GBH's face is a classic...made me chuckle. This looks like a POTD photo for sure.

11. It is my educated guess that the little "hassler" in your shot is a female red-winged blackbird. Seems these two species don't particularly get along. Wonderful shot!

12. Wow Bill, I bet you were surprised to see what you captured. A really suburb photo.
    Pete

13. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Quick Eye, cool capture
    really like the colors/exp

14. Thanks, Lisa, very kind comments. I have to agree, the expression as well as the "body language" as well.

15. You could very well be right, there are a LOT of RWBB's around at this time, including a bunch of "little ones". We have watched these chase all sorts of birds in the area, including Harriers and Eagles. Feisty little buggers for sure.

Thanks....

16. Thanks, Pete. I was quite surprised to see how well this turned out. Even in a sequence at 8fps you don't always get started at the time to catch this kind of action. Wait a minute, on second thought Pete, this is just superb timing on my part, so why SHOULD I be surprised :?: :?: :?: By the way, any chance you could use a bridge or some land with a view :?: :?: :wink:

Your avatar seems to have "disappeared"......

17. Thanks, Ben. I was lucky enough to have had time to check out the exposure before this occured. The way the light was coming it was really nice to have the ability to check the histogram and "blinkies", once more proving why digital is grand.....

18. Amazing capture Bill!
    I think you should change your line in your sugnature... ;-)

19. Hi Bill

I must has been asleep - you replaced the Sigma 500?

Great shot. Love the "glow".

20. Thanks, Panos.

I'm afraid to ask, but my curiosity is getting the better of me. What, pray tell, should I change my signature to :?: :?: :?: