GBH With fish....;-)

I don't think that this finny flipper is quite as big as the one I posted a couple of weeks ago, but still not a minnow. :rolleyes:

These were shot yesterday at the Guntersville dam, one of my favorite places to go relax and shoot. They were taken with my new D2H (Thanks Mike!!) with the 300 2.8 and the 2.0 TC. As Rory mentioned a couple of days ago, this TC is not as bad as some might think. I was favorably impressed.

Pouncing on the prey:
38328801-O.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Gotcha!!
38328803-O.jpg

Out of the water:
38328805-O.jpg

Headed back to shore:
38328806-O.jpg

38328809-O.jpg

Time to eat:
38328810-O.jpg

38328813-O.jpg

Mmmmmm: :smile:
38328814-O.jpg

I few more in the series can be seen here:
http://flew.smugmug.com/gallery/548648/11

Hey Frank that GBH is a PIG!!!!!!!

Good lord how do they swallow those huge fish.

That tc20 seems to do a GREAT job...

Wonderful images.

Another Whopper!

Good catch, uhhhh, on your part too! :biggrin: Looks like Mike's 2H is working perfectly for you. So, what's the word on your other cameras, the 2H & D70? you know, they finally called me to tell me my D70's GBLOD was fixed for free out of warranty, and they actually replaced my 200-400VR since they could'nt get the replacement parts in time. The 12-24 is repaired too, the one I dropped onto the pavement off my car. It's only been 6 wks since I took em in! :mad:

Gale said:
Hey Frank that GBH is a PIG!!!!!!!

Good lord how do they swallow those huge fish.

That tc20 seems to do a GREAT job...

Wonderful images.

Gale,

You are so right. Pig. pig, pig!! :biggrin:

Thanks,

mike mac said:
Incredible what these guys can devour isn't it, nice shots glad you are liking the new camera

Liking doesn't describe it Mike. I love it. It gives me such a feeling of security knowing that I have a back-up. :tongue:

Thanks,

jfrancis said:
Great series. Can it still fly after that?

John,

Absolutely can fly. Probably headed of to a tree somewhere and took a long nap. :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Steve S said:
Good catch, uhhhh, on your part too! :biggrin: Looks like Mike's 2H is working perfectly for you. So, what's the word on your other cameras, the 2H & D70? you know, they finally called me to tell me my D70's GBLOD was fixed for free out of warranty, and they actually replaced my 200-400VR since they couldn't get the replacement parts in time. The 12-24 is repaired too, the one I dropped onto the pavement off my car. It's only been 6 wks since I took em in! :mad:

Steve,

I talked to the repair folks a week ago last Friday, and then got confirmation letters on the repairs. I expect both back next week. They are also fixing my BGLOD for free. The D2H will cost my insurance company $475. :cool:

Sounds like you did real well with your 200-400VR. Tell them to send me your old one when they get it fixed. I don't mind waiting. :biggrin:

B

bfjr

Another good catch for you and the GBH!!
I don't know I think all our birdies must be on a diet or something

I mean look at this in this not pathetic
38276149-L.jpg
:smile: :frown:

Hi Frank,

Enjoyed your series of the 'fish eater'. Hope to see you this year.

We have much water in all the ditches and lakes down here and the wading birds can't catch their food in the high water..so I'm waiting until the area dries out before I head to Ding Darling and other sites.

Best to you and Janie,

Another outstanding series Frank. I love that satisifed look on the heron in the last shot. You must have had the same expression after you took these shots.

Thanks again for the kind words folks. :smile:

Ben, I get lots of shots with the little fish too. The thing that makes this site unique is the fact that when they turn on the generators in the dam, a bunch of large fish get injured or stunned, and the herons and cormorants just feast.

Ricardo, I like that one too. I just wish that the right wing wasn't blurred. I guess that I didn't have sufficient DOF (I think that these were shot at f6.3, so I'm kinda surprised).

Kev, I like all of the flight shots, but that one (#5) is probably the best exposed of the bunch.

Jim, I personally don't see how they get them down. :rolleyes:

Andreas, I appreciate the feedback. I really concentrated on fundamentals (be steady, get a good focus lock, etc.) on each shot in this series. You really don't get this kind of opportunity that often, and I was lucky to have such great light.

Hey Gaye!! Long time, no hear. I hope to get down again for more than just a weekend late this year or early next. I hope you and Stan are doing well. Are you back in FL?

Harry, I did smile. :biggrin:

Frank it looks like you are back up and running with the new camera. Great series. You sure know how to capture the action. My what a big fish to swallow.

I just returned from the Tetons. Wow what an experience. It was fun to see other wildlife for a change. The rut was fun to watch as well. I hope to post some shots tonight.

james thiel said:
Frank it looks like you are back up and running with the new camera. Great series. You sure know how to capture the action. My what a big fish to swallow.

I just returned from the Tetons. Wow what an experience. It was fun to see other wildlife for a change. The rut was fun to watch as well. I hope to post some shots tonight.

Jim,

Yes, thank goodness for Mike and his D2H. I checked the Nikon site for a status on my damaged H this morning before heading in to work, and it still says 'waiting for parts'. If I hadn't gotten this one from Mike, I'd be in terminal shooting withdrawal right now. :eek:

Can't wait to see your Tetons shots. :smile:

Latest threads

Top Bottom