GBHs at sunset [9 images]

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Gordon Large, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

2. Hey Gordon

You are having way too much fun! Nice series. I see you were shooting at ISO 800. In the originals is the noise as clean as it appears in the reductions?

3. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Rory! Amazingly there was no visible noise in the full originals, perhaps because of the unusual light and high contrast. Usually I do see noise at 800 from my D2x, but the images are always usable with a little work.

Gordon

4. Wow Gordon, these are almost Oriental in style. Excellent work and the yellow seems to enhance the look.

5. Beautiful lighting Gordon, I find the ones most interesting with the reflection of the GBH or in flight. Nice mood pic and great job with higher ISO.

6. Greyflash says it all. Excellent serie, Gordon.!!!

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Have to agree....These are really nice images Gordon. Well done.

8. very nice great series bet you had a blast... Were these down at Stone Harbor?

9. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Gordon. When I was shooting it didn't occur to me that the style had almost an Oriental look; I was just looking for the best images I could get of a beautiful scene playing out in front of me. But when I looked at the results, the similarity struck me. And pleased me, because the simple, elegant lines of the best Chinese and other Oriental art is right at the top of my "darn I wish I owned that" list.

Gordon

10. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Keith. I agree with you on both reflections and flight. But IMO not all the images worked with reflections, and I was really trying to tell a story and the plot line had to include both BIF and BNIF.

Gordon

11. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Dao. You might want to take a quick look at my response to Greyflash.

Gordon

12. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Gale. They were fun to take.

Gordon

13. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Mike. Blast is an understatement. These were taken at a small Nature Center in Peace Valley Park, which is near Doylestown PA and only about 20 minutes from where I live. Didn't even know about it until a few weeks ago. Early morning and late afternoon you can literally stand on a bridge (no cars) and shoot until the lights go out. One GBH and one Green Heron are always there. Many more in the area which occasionally come within shooting distance. Lots of night herons which don't. Lots of cormorants which do. Kingfishers. It's a long narrow lake and the natural flight path is straight up and down, so "incoming" tells you exactly where to look. Common examples are Red-tailed Hawks and Ospreys. I've got one shot of a Bald Eagle flying way overhead; there are two there. Great place which only local birders seem to know about.

Gordon

14. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Marvelous colors and a very good choice to shoot the heron as a silhouette

15. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Harry. Didn't have any other option on the silhouette thing unless I had one heck of a big Best Beamer.
    Gordon

16. I work in Quakertown so I coudl head right down 313 be there is 30 minutes or so, might have to chck it out

17. Fantastic shots, and so different. Really like the color.

And I agree that there're like the very best in Chinese paintings.

18. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Exactly what I thought when I saw them
    Good work!!

19. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Mike -
    You won't regret it! If you are heading toward Doylestown on 313, look for New Galena Road on your right. A left on Chapman Road - which has sign for the Nature Center - takes you to the parking lot. If you hit the 611 bypass around Doylestown you've gone too far. Let me know even on short notice when you go and I'll meet you there.
    Gordon

20. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Phil! They were fun to shoot.
    Gordon