GBHs & Seagulls from the Oregon Coast

Discussion in 'Birds' started by JayR, Aug 11, 2005.

1. JayR

JayR

Jul 6, 2005
    Redmond, WA.
    Hi,

Here are some shots from the Oregon Coast trip last month. This was my first real vacation outing with the 70-200VR and I am really impressed with the lens. I know that I have mentioned that a couple of times already but what can I do? I just can't stop speaking about the lens . :)

The entire week we were there mostly I saw only Seagulls & some GBHs. I did spot a couple of Bald Eagles while driving but I either couldn't stop or I did not have the 70-200VR with me. It seemed as if the entire coast has been taken over by the Seagulls. They were everywhere.

On the whole, the family had a good time and I did manage to get some shots either early in the morning or late in the evening. I was happy.

I do have a couple of Landscapes that I will post in the proper forum later.

All of them are crops of the full frame except the second Seagull shot. Now for the photos....

GBHs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seagulls

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The originals look much better than these resized pictures. You can check it out at

http://jayr.smugmug.com/gallery/724813/1/31809037

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    A GBH only squacks when someone is in his territory or really PI@@ED OFF. lolol

Great shots. Sea gulls also

3. JayR

JayR

Jul 6, 2005
    Redmond, WA.
    Yep. He was really pissed because Zoe (my labrador) was in the water and wanted to check out the big bird up close and personal. :)

4. Lisa

Lisa

May 3, 2005
    IL
    Hi Jay:

These are great! I went to your smugmug site also and the pics are wonderful! Do you find AF-C to be the best way to shoot birds? Reason I ask is that I have this same combo and I have a hard time because I'm so used to AF-S. I'd probably get more keepers I imagine. Your exposure is dead-on in all of them. Looking forward to the landscape photos :)

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Great shots Jay. The 70-200VR is certainly a wonderful lens. Looks like you had a really productive trip, photography wise. :wink:

6. JayR

JayR

Jul 6, 2005
    Redmond, WA.
    Thanks for all the comments.

Lisa - AF-C is the best way to track flying birds. I invariably try to get a focus lock and then pan while getting off a series of shots. I also use multiple frame mode and shoot while panning. It doesn't take much time to get used to AF-C. Just remember to keep the shutter button half-pressed to track the birds.