Gearing up for Friday Night HS Football - Frank?

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Otter, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Hello.

I have a bookmark saved for Franks thread about his flash setup. I hope to do something similar with my (lowly) 300/f4 and (lowly) D200. :smile:

Frank, maybe I need to do some thread searches, but can you tell me about the clamp set up on your monopod? What is that device the SB-800 is attached to? Would you do it differently now having used it a bit?

Also, can you provide some tips regarding SB-800 settings and exposures?

Can you right a book please? :smile:

Friday night fb is not that far off. Just trying to think a head a little.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
  3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Yes sir, that is the clamp although mine is one made by Calumet Photography. The flash sits upon an SC-28 cord which is attached to a simple steel L-Bracket that I purchased at a local Ace Hardware.

Setting for the SB-800....I set the flash to iTTL and adjusted the flash EV compensation as necessary.

4. acena

acena

Mar 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    The Bogen super clamp is probably your sturdiest option, but you can also use Bogen's spring clamp. Almost as strong but has a lot of other uses. i.e. clamp a light to a chair or table during volleyball or basketball a party, etc. If you do use the clamp on a monopod be sure to tape it closed just in case.

5. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    I take what I said back . . I actually have the Impact version. Very sturdy

6. Thanks a ton guys.

Frank, I only have the 300/f4. I see in your EXIF of your FB pics it looks like everything was shot at 2.8. With this setup, will the f4 be too slow? Is it worth a try?

Thanks.
    Joe