GeeJay finally reporting in

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GeeJay, Feb 1, 2005.

1. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi you all,
    I have been reading but haven't figured out yet how to post and a bit shy to dive in...but have to break the ice and do it..I hope this gets through into the General Discussion Forum... Have been out of town for three days and hope now to focus on this great new forum site..thanks to you all for devising this site..It's a winner!

Also hope to figure how to post pictures.. I must read the HELP.. I got a neat hawk the other day and would love to show you.

This is really a test so hope it works :D

Gaye

2. Hi Gaye and welcome. Posting is not too difficult - after you open up the message and type what you want to look up at the top with all the little boxes. Click on the Img box and then put in your URL like you would on dpreview (don't forget .jpg) and then click on the Img box again. Hit submit on the bottom and it should post fine. Just let us know if you need any help.

Gordon

3. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Thanks, Gordon,
    Not sure this is going to work. I'll try to post a picture with this..This is definitely a test and if it doesn't work I'm going to bed anyway and figure it out tomorrow.
    Gaye
    [/img]http://geejay.smugmug.com/photos/14929725-L.jpg

4. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Picture didn't come up..just site link??

This didn't work so how do I get the picture to show up in the post?

Gordon, you already identified this hawk..thanks again for that info..You said 'Sharp Shinning Hawk'-- I was out there again today and saw another one but didn't have my camera.. in fact it was probably this same one..

Thanks,

Gaye

5. GeeJay,

The one without the / goes before the image.jpg and the one with the / goes after the image.jpg

It just takes a little getting used to.

Welcome to the group,
    Bob

6. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Bob, Thanks---
    I'll try again.. here goes.. Let's see if this works so I can go to bed :lol:

[​IMG]

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Hey Gaye!!

It should look like this:

[​IMG]

I do it a little different that some of the others, but the result is the same.

First, I post my link (just like on DPR), then I highlight it, and click the Img button.

Nice pic BTW :)

Regards,

Frank

8. You got it! I forgot to add that if you click the preview it shows up there if you did it correctly,
    Bob

9. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    OKay, I think I"ve got it...but will have to try one more time to be sure..just bear with me on this.. thanks you all!

Gaye

[​IMG]

10. You have broken the code. Good image by the way.

Gordon

11. Welcome, Gaye, glad to see you hear.

One thing to note on using the Img and URL tags at the top. Be VERY careful of where you think the cursor is and where the tags think it is. These tags want to go at the end of whatever text you type, so trying to go back into the middle of a paragraph and using the tag buttons won't work. What is even more annoying is the the tags are toggles, so the 1st time you hit Img you get [​IMG]. Erase one, retype it by hand, and the next time you choose it, oops, you get the wrong one. I like Frank's idea, highlight the URL and then press the Img, slick idea.

The only reason I know this is that I belong to a local forum which uses the same software, with the same annoyances :) .

Dang nice Hawk, folks.

And I second the suggestion on using the Preview button to ensure that you have what you want before you Submit.

12. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Bout time you got here Gaye,

I was wondering if you would be coming over here.

We know everyone. Gee no troll, except Harris. lol

Great hawk shot Gaye. Good job.

Cheers
    Gale

13. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Thanks from Gaye

Hey you all,
    I knew eventually I'd make the move to post on this forum. I signed up early but only looked at your posts...didn't have the courage to post...but now feel more comfortable and sure appreciate your good suggestions about how to do the pictures etc..............

Thanks a bunch and I'll be watching and will be back soon.

Gaye

PS.. How do you get the little picture with your name?

Yours are all great.
    Frank, your little birdie face is too cute!

14. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Re: Thanks from Gaye

Gaye,

First you have to make a very small pic (using PS or whatever application that you use). It should be no more than 80 pixels on a side, and I think has to be less than 9K.

Then you click on your profile and scroll down to the Avatar selection section. I used the 'Upload Avatar from your machine' option. Then just click the 'browse' button, and find and select the small pic you made.

That should be it.

Let me know if you have any problems.

Regards,

Frank

15. Welcome to the neighboorhood

Gald to see you make it.

16. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    The Little, Tiny Picture Thing

I think I got my little picture in but not sure so am trying it out with this...it should be two White Pelican heads and beaks..

Thanks Mike and Frank.....

Good to be here!

Gaye

Nope it didn't go in so must work more on that project.. I think it's supposed to be no more than 80 pixels on each side and what's the total KB? I thought I kept it very small but must not have..

Gaye

17. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    I'm trying the little picture again..this time it should show up.. It can't be any smaller :lol: