1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Gen NX2: Seeking Help with This Image

Discussion in 'Nikon Capture and View NX' started by NewBert, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Went to the amusement park today, and caught this image of my niece, her son and two of her nephews riding one the coasters, using my 70-300VR. It was the little guy's (8 years old, second row next to her) first day ever on the "big" coasters and, much to all of our surprise, he loved it!

Anyways, I would like to give them a nice image to remember the day, so I would like to optimize this image. I've cropped it to capture just the 4 of them with the steep rails in front of them, adjusted WB to daylight, applied a bit of an S-curve to LCH. Then I used Gaussian Blur to blur the background a bit, and a selection control point (minus) to keep them in focus. Finally, a bit of USM. (I'd like to tell you what the values were, but just realized that I never saved the edited NEF file - DOH!)

Well - trudging on -- The main problems I have with the image are a) the shadows across my niece's face, and b) The 4 of them and the coaster car don't stand out from the background enough, IMO.

Any thoughts on how to proceed in NX2 (or start over) to meet those goals would be greatly appreciated.

2. rdle

rdle

Apr 2, 2005
    So. California
    One way to lighten her face is to use levels/curves to taste then apply it to her face selectively with the plus brush.

3. TomaS

TomaS

Aug 3, 2006
    Corrales, NM
    Two suggestions. Use the new 'shadow protection' slider in quick adjust, and add a small color control point in the woman's face to brighten, desaturate, and increase contrast. Using the above, the shadow can minimized but not eliminated.

4. Thanks for all of the suggestions, guys!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.