Geneaology Software

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rich Gibson, Aug 10, 2008.

1. I've been learning a new DAM software (IDImager; thanks Mike Buckley!) and in the process of creating a category catalog I've been looking at my old family images. It's time for me to find a geneaology package to capture the box of records I have. The last time I looked at this was in the early 1990's and the packages were pretty rough and not very user friendly.

A few more powerful ones were closely tied to their proprietary records sytem web sites. I'm pretty bummed from that experience since I spent over $200 for CDs with "all the immigrant record form the East coast of the U.S." which didn't have a single one of my ancestors. Once I was on their mailing list I'd get regular high pressure sales calls trying to get me to buy additional (useless) sets of records.

Any suggestions? I'm using parallels so either Mac or PC software is fine.

Thanks,

2. The Master Genealogist

Go back to that "more powerful ones were closely tied to their proprietary records sytem web site." I assume that was Wholly Genes site with The Master Genealogist. I have never gotten any useful inormation from any CD or book. You need to go back to either the original records or online.

Back to your question. The Master Genealogist is a fantastic program. Download their free demo--it's fully functional--and try it for a month. Make sure you also go the th TMG mailing list. The support for this program there, both official and non-official, is astounding. It makes Nikon Cafe look hostile.

There's not a huge price difference between the programs so you may as well go with the best. The other alternative is to go cheap--free--and go the the Mormon site: www.familysearch.org and get their FREE genealogy program. It can't touch The Master Genealogist in features, function and support but it beats everybody on price and does a yeoman-like job.

You can email me off site if you want any more information or help with genealogy or genealogy programs. I set up an onlilne genealogy course for a local community college--that died for lack of funding.

Bruce

3. No, the program was once sold by Costco and was the biggest seller and the high pressure site as I recall was geneaology.com. I may be wrong about the name, but every time I blinked they wanted money for something. The only thing I am certain about was I didn't get one single darn hit on any of my relatives from anything they sold.

Thanks for the tip. IDmager had a 30 day trail which convinced me to get it.

4. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Rich, I have used a software called "Legacy", it's available for download.... once installed it has links to major online sources, but they aren't required... it's all optional. It's not bad.

5. You're talking about Family Tree Maker (and are correct about the website). I had a friend who used the software, and is convinced it "stole" information from his family tree by connecting to the website you mentioned and uploading information in the background without his permission. I can't say if that's true or not but he's pretty convinced based on some (rare) information that suddenly appeared on geneology.com that was never there before.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2008
  6. That's it! I was wracking my brain...and I threw all the disks away a year or two ago.

7. I use Reunion and have used others. Reunion works for me.

8. You might want to take a drive over to Fairfax to the new Fairfax Regional Library (old building was torn down and there is now a shiny new one) and check out their Virginia Room collection; they will undoubtedly have a lot of resources available there onsite but also specifics about good internet resources and genealogy-related software programs as well. Also, at one time there was an excellent genealogical library/resource located right in Annandale, connected to the Church of Latter-Day Saints.

9. DM Rosner

DM Rosner

Dec 13, 2006
    Mike, I'm very much into genealogy, and would be happy to talk with you further when I'm more awake. Please feel free to PM me. I'll be happy to do anything I can to steer you in the right direction.

In the meantime, by all means take Connie's advice--local libraries often have a wealth of information in their genealogy collections.

At the moment, I'm too exhausted to make much sense, so a PM tomorrow might work better. :smile:

10. If you mean me, it's Rich and thanks. I'm interested in the software, not necessarily research materials; I've done all that in the early 1990's.

11. j13jjs

j13jjs

Aug 4, 2008
    Atlanta
    This sounds like a fun project, I think I might look into this software as well.

12. My Dad, who does the genealogy, uses The Master Genealogist. He swears by it, and he did try some other pieces of software, that were more mass market and they did not hold a torch to TMG. Just like photo-editing programs there are a different levels for what people want to do.

Sadly my Dad is now in the hospital and it falls to me to get the family history recorded.

13. Another good and robust genealogy program is RootsMagic. It has lots of great features, functions very well and they also have a monthly newsletter.

I've tried a variety of programs but really do like RootsMagic.

14. Cyanide

Cyanide Guest

Another vote for Legacy - I have it and it is great.

15. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    I used Familty Tree Maker on my Windows PC. The latest version is quite powerful. My mother uses it as well. When I moved to the Mac, I exported my FTM database in GEDCOM format and was able to import it into Reunion on the Mac. Reunion is also nice. There are some features of FTM that Reunion doesn't do in the same way. For example, both programs can merge two entries for the same person together. FTM however can do this in mass when you are importing someone else's database into yours and there is considerable overlap. Reunion doesn't do that as gracefully. I do find that Reunion does pretty much everything I need.

One powerful feature of FTM is that it connects to and searches all the Ancestry.com databases you subscribe to very nicely (since Ancestry.com produces it). Reunion can't do that. You have to search Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org manually, download the GEDCOM file, import it into your Reunion database, and then merge individual overlaps by hand. Reunion can help you find those overlaps, but you have to do a bit more work to merge them once it finds them.

I searched long and hard for genealogy software. FTM
    for Windows and Reunion for Mac were to two best products I found.