General question about Nikon software use in Macs

I have a lady friend who may be buying a mint second-hand D40 body and 18-55mm VR kit lens to start her journey as a DSLR owner. She has a Mac and need to know if there is any issue or hurdles to straddle if she wants to use Capture NX2 - or any other software that you folks might recommend.

This will all depend on if she would be using RAW files or not. I am recommending she does at some point, she will probably be a JPEG shooter at the start.

Thoughts?

I have had no problem running Capture NX2 on a Mac. It runs better than when I was using it on a PC, although that may simply be the PC was old and the Mac is newer.

A Mac should be no issue for most imaging software...

NX2 is slower than other raw processors - some costing more and some less - but I use it as it does a good job. Another program to consider without breaking the bank is Lightroom.

And on a Mac, you'd have to consider Aperture with it now being $80 via the App Store. Good bargain. I've been playing around with it for some scanned film JPGs and it seems a decent tool, although I'm still very early in the learning curve. It will do RAW conversion as well, although I've been sticking with NX2 for that as I like the controls etc.

Raw is easier to use unless you want to just save /print pictures. When you open a JPEG in NX, half the possible adjustments are missing. That is all your lost information, lost gone for good.

NX2 runs just fine on my two Macs.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom