General question ?

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by screwdriver, Jul 5, 2008.

1. screwdriver

screwdriver

Feb 29, 2008
    FLorida
    i would like to ask guys here , i satrted photography about 6 months ago and pretty much ok with my camera shooting with regular ambient lighting and flash. i have a nikon D70 and sb600 .
    I am wondering if i wannna explore more of multiple lights off camera - probabl using manual mode . how do you guys measure how much lighting you need . i know there are formulas doing the math about distance , aperture and guide number - can these numbers also be had with the help of a light meter?

2. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Are you thinking about adding more Nikon speedlights or getting into studio lighting? If the latter, I always suggest starting with one light and a reflector. What do you want to shoot with the multiple lights? Give us some more info and we will be able to advise.

3. screwdriver

screwdriver

Feb 29, 2008
    FLorida
    im thinking more on studio lighting . - from headshots to whole body portraits, still also probably.
    so it would be better to start simple with 1 light and 1 reflector .

4. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Then I recommend:

1 Alien Bee 800 strobe
    2 heavy duty 13' light stands
    1 large foldable softbox
    1 5-in-1 round reflector with bracket for light stand
    1 pair background supports with telescoping crossbar
    1 muslin background of your choice (not white unless you want to get more lights)

This is a system that you can build on as your expertise and confidence grows.

5. screwdriver

screwdriver

Feb 29, 2008
    FLorida
    what size 5 in 1 reflector would be useful ?

6. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I would start with 42" or so.

7. screwdriver

screwdriver

Feb 29, 2008
    FLorida
    is a lightmeter a must have?

8. Nothing is "required", but a meter is very helpful, especially when working with flash. It's a great timesaver. I keep a flash/ambient meter handy and use it for both.

9. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Not a must - you can always check your LCD and histogram and adjust flash power etc. until you nail it. However, a meter makes it a whole lot quicker and easier. It also makes it a snap if you want to get a specific ratio between your lights. So . . . I would recommend one.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.