Generic Mirrorless Question - Daily Usage (Update NEW TOY!)

I like that flip-and-tilt LCD. That's something that Nikon badly needs on their mirrorless cameras, especially the Z50.

Looks like the EOS R is the Canon equivalent of the Nikon Z6. My online investigations show that the physical size and sensor performance are essentially identical.

The Canon does cost $500 more at the moment...maybe that's the cost of the extra 6MP (30 vs 24) :D.

Last edited:
Real Name
Ken St John
Maybe there is a way to control that by changing a pertinent setting.
Haven't found it yet ... It can be disabled, but that means after taking a shot, the "chimp" view only shows up in the viewfinder. A bit confusing to me at this point ... and certainly not much help if taking a few in a row!!

Ah well, I'll continue to poke around and see what I can find or, more likely, how to change my "process"! :)

Ken

Real Name
Ken St John
Some slightly better Day 1 shots ... I'm impressed with the lack of noise and the sharpness of these ... all are JPG's.

1 Cloudy sunset
EOS R Day 1-15.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2 UP Train rolling past
EOS R Day 1-13.jpg

3 A remarkably close BNSF train (followed the UP one by a minute or two!)
EOS R Day 1-65.jpg

Again, thanks for all of the info!! Although clearly different, there's still a lot of similarities in these two systems right now ... I'm looking forward to your comments and assistance along the way!!

Cheers!!

Ken

Real Name
Don Roy
Not likely ... all of the Canon focused forums I have found can't hold a candle to this one!! Sorry ... you're stuck with me for a while longer!! :)

Ken
Ken, was just trying to help. :) I've been in JeepForum as long as you've been here. I know the guys there are minimal/medium help when I have a question about the Chevy motor I put in my Jeep. Actually, the Chevy forums aren't much better, so as I type this, I get your point, go with the people you trust.

I did have Canon before switching to Nikon and coming here 2 yrs ago, but it was 15 yr old Canon, so I have nothing to help.

Real Name
Andy
You can customize a button to switch between the EVF and LCD. You'll have to menu dive and assign "VF/Screen" to the button of your choice, such as the asterisk button.

Additionally, you might consider turning off auto review and manually press the playback button when you wish to chimp. If you don't, the last image(s) taken may render in the EVF while you are trying to capture the next photo - this can result in missed shots.

FWIW, I have come to prefer chimping in the EVF rather than the rear screen. It interrupts the workflow less than ducking in and out of the viewfinder, and equally importantly as my vision gets worse - I can see things in the EVF clearly without reading glasses (not the case for the rear screen). Lastly, it conserves battery power to run the much smaller EVF vs. the LCD screen.

Real Name
Ken St John
You can customize a button to switch between the EVF and LCD. You'll have to menu dive and assign "VF/Screen" to the button of your choice, such as the asterisk button.

Additionally, you might consider turning off auto review and manually press the playback button when you wish to chimp. If you don't, the last image(s) taken may render in the EVF while you are trying to capture the next photo - this can result in missed shots.

FWIW, I have come to prefer chimping in the EVF rather than the rear screen. It interrupts the workflow less than ducking in and out of the viewfinder, and equally importantly as my vision gets worse - I can see things in the EVF clearly without reading glasses (not the case for the rear screen). Lastly, it conserves battery power to run the much smaller EVF vs. the LCD screen.
Thanks, Andy. Very helpful. I'll check out those options.

I suspect that I will probably try "chimpping" on the EVF for exactly the same reasons you mention. In fact, I noticed I can adjust the diopter wheel and use the EVF without my glasses. Not sure I'll do this all the time since it means I'd have to take 'em off and on a lot ... but I'll try it for a while!!

Ken

Last edited:
I suspect that I will probably try "chipping" on the EVF for exactly the same reasons you mention. In fact, I noticed I can adjust the diopter wheel and use the EVF without my glasses. Not sure I'll do this all the time since it means I'd have to take 'em off and on a lot ... but I'll try it for a while!!

Ken

Another benefit of using the EVF that Andy didn't mention is that it's easy to see the image there when the sunlight makes viewing it on the rear LCD difficult.

I set my diopter to work when I'm not wearing glasses. I eventually got used to needing to view the rear LCD so rarely that I have to put on my glasses far less often now. This became especially true once I began using my U1-U3 user settings with greater effectiveness and when I added the menu items I most often use to My Menu. All of the menu items and settings that can be displayed on the rear LCD can be displayed in the EVF, eliminating the need to view the rear LCD.

On the other hand, when I'm using a tripod in my makeshift studio, I would much rather view everything on the rear LCD. In that situation, I leave my glasses on almost all of the time and rarely use the EVF.

In summary: When hand holding the camera, I generally use the EVF with no glasses. When using a tripod, I generally use the rear LCD and wear glasses.

All of the above pertains to my Nikon Z6 and I assume the generalities also apply to Canon mirrorless cameras.

Last edited:
Real Name
Ken St John
Another benefit of using the EVF that Andy didn't mention is that it's easy to see the image there when the sunlight makes viewing it on the rear LCD difficult.

I set my diopter to work when I'm not wearing glasses. I eventually got used to needing to view the rear LCD so rarely that I have to put on my glasses far less often now. This became especially true once I began using my U1-U3 user settings with greater effectiveness and when I added the menu items I most often use to My Menu. All of the menu items and settings that can be displayed on the rear LCD can be displayed in the EVF, eliminating the need to view the rear LCD.

On the other hand, when I'm using a tripod in my makeshift studio, I would much rather view everything on the rear LCD. In that situation, I leave me glasses on almost all of the time and rarely use the EVF.

In summary: When hand holding the camera, I generally use the EVF with no glasses. When using a tripod, I generally use the rear LCD and wear glasses.

All of the above pertains to my Nikon Z6 and I assume the generalities also apply to Canon mirrorless cameras.
Thanks, Mike!!

Sound advice and something I will definitely try. Like you, I found with my 6D2 (which also has a touch screen on the back) that I generally used it in "Live View" when on a tripod but never when handheld, so that idea tracks well for the new system with a EVF.

Cheers!!

Ken

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom