Genuine Fractals 4.0

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by Scott Sherman, Dec 20, 2005.

1. A company called On One purchased Genuine Fractals and now there is a version 4 which no longer requires you to save files to .stn to use them. Has anyone tried this new version for uprezzing images?

Here is a page of On One products including a tutorial for Genuine Fractals. It shows the basic operation of it if your interested. I would appreciate any user feedback or if anyone has done any comparisons with other methods of interpolating. I have used Fred Miranda actions with some success also.

http://www.ononesoftware.com/tutorials.html

2. RForshey

RForshey Guest

A good friend of mine was one of the original stock holders of genuine fractals and still does beta testing for them (he is an internationally acclaimed photographer). He says the new version 4 is the only way to up-rez files. As for me, I've not tried it yet, but intend to shortly..

3. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    Hi Scott,

What follows apples only for digital camera files. Fred Miranda's Resize Pro does not work for me on most of my old files scanned from negatives and slides.

I have used older verisons(vers. 2.0 and 2.5) of GF routinely for years. I did a comparison at 100% between GF and Fred Miranda's Resize Pro. FM's results were noticeably better, by which I mean more natural and true to the original.

As I recall, what I did was save a TIFF file in stn, then enlarged to a particular size. Then I took the same TIFF file and used FM to resize it directly to the same particular size. Then examined the two results at 100%. Given the price difference I was surprised. I didn't save the resulting files, but if you're interested I'll try to duplicate it.

Of course GF version 4 might be so much superior to ver 2.5 that all this is moot. If they have a trial download I'll check that the same way.

Regards