Share George Floyd coverage

Real Name
Andrew
Please share your images related to the George Floyd, marches, protests or events.

These are from 5/31/2020. Peaceful March from Reynoldsburg to Whitehall and Columbus, OH.

Nikon Z6 and 24-70/4 Post processed in DxO Filmpack5 Agfa APX 100 film simulation.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

nice photos. no protests here to photograph. Did see someone standing on the bridge into town with a cardboard sign Friday. I was on drugs, coming home from eye surgery and at 50 mph couldn't make out what was written on the sign. She was probably protesting something.

Real Name
Andrew
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Downtown Columbus, OH is shut down today. Unless you’ve got to get to work or have sone kind of emergency, the Governor has told everyone to stay away.

the National guard has been deployed. I’ve been staying away from our downtown tinderbox. Don’t have any desire to get caught up in any kind of skirmish. However, I do feel the need to try and get some coverage of what is going on.

Last edited:
Real Name
Andrew

There is no way I am going to downtown DC to photograph or witness any of what is happening here; I am perfectly happy to let professional photojournalists who are paid to do this kind of thing be there and record in video and still photography these sad, terrible events and responses to an even sadder, truly horrific situation.

There is no way I am going to downtown DC to photograph or witness any of what is happening here; I am perfectly happy to let professional photojournalists who are paid to do this kind of thing be there and record in video and still photography these sad, terrible events and responses to an even sadder, truly horrific situation.
I totally agree Connie. I feel so bad about what is happening.

Curfew in DC started at 7:00 PM tonight. What is so awful about this situation is that while people certainly have the prerogative to protest peacefully while trying to honor the memory of George Floyd and trying to express their horror and grief over what happened to him, there are unfortunately others who are more interested in turning their rage and frustration into an opportunity to loot and vandalize stores and people's property..... Back in 1968 when I was here in the DC area as a graduate student, a naive young woman from a small town in Ohio, I viewed news reports in the papers and on television and a couple of times actually saw for myself as well when, yes, there were members of the military posted on downtown street corners, equipped with weapons if they needed to use them...... I have never forgotten seeing that. It is beginning to sound as though the city may be about to experience that kind of sight once again, 52 years later..... Horrifying, all of this. I really feel for George Floyd's family; he didn't deserve what happened to him and his family does not deserve having all of this going on, compounding and multiplying their grief tenfold.

Coupled with the still very real threat of COVID-19, we're really in a huge mess right now.

The peaceful protesters I'm OK with.

What I am upset about is, that "some" of the protesters have destroyed and looted stores/businesses that were on the verge of going under, due to the Covid shut down. Well now that the businesses are destroyed, they've gone under. The business owners and employees were not part of the "problem," but they were dragged under. :(
How is destroying a person's business/livelyhood justified?
That is theft and arson/destruction, disguised as protesting.

Now there are less businesses to employ people.
So recovering from the Covid shutdown is going to be even harder.
People that might have gone back to work, now do not have a work to go back to.

And the killings. Are the killers any better than the cops they are protesting against.
Dead is dead.

Unfortunately, violent protesters won't react to anything but violence back at them, so I see it back to the same government reaction as back in the Vietnam protests. People are going to get hurt and killed.

This is sad and scarry.

And who is going to have to pay to clean up and repair the mess, us the taxpayers.

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
"Please share your images related to the George Floyd, marches, protests or events. "

I have just read elsewhere, about a photojournalist that received a rubber bullet in the eye from the boys in blue and has now lost the sight of that eye. Another guy got hit with police rubber bullets and then had his camera smashed by a protestor.

I think it is best to stay away unless you have some real business documenting this mayhem.

Looks to me like the murder of Floyd has been used as an excuse by some hot heads and criminals to loot and burn, whilst the police clearly do not want the world to see the repression of the mob.

Floyd has already been forgotten.

I have just read this on the BBC news site. Looks like some police chiefs have lost control of their men.

Last edited:
Real Name
Andrew
If weather permits, there is going to be another local march/protest. I should be able to cover that event as well. Going to try and get some interviews and videos before they start going. Run with some stills after that.

Real Name
Ken St John
My wife was sent home from work in downtown Seattle a while ago. She works for King County and their office building is being used today as a staging area for the National Guard. Since she routinely deals with homeless people around her building, she was not worried much about the legitimate protestors. But these dirtbags who don't give a darn about black people, or Mr Floyd, but are instead bent on fermenting hate and creating a false political narrative as they help themselves to the fruits of someone else's labor is another story. A sad day for all of us ... and especially tough for the men & women of all races who are doing their best to protect us all from the anarchists and those who are taking part in this insurrection.

Ken

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
Yes, and some others have acted wisely to stop things getting out of hand.

But here in Europe we have seen the police using violence against the press, just as we have seen the solidarity scenes.

We saw the arrest of the CNN crew, which is an incredible home goal that should never have happened.

Real Name
Andrew
"Please share your images related to the George Floyd, marches, protests or events. "

I have just read elsewhere, about a photojournalist that received a rubber bullet in the eye from the boys in blue and has now lost the sight of that eye. Another guy got hit with police rubber bullets and then had his camera smashed by a protestor.

I think it is best to stay away unless you have some real business documenting this mayhem.

Looks to me like the murder of Floyd has been used as an excuse by some hot heads and criminals to loot and burn, whilst the police clearly do not want the world to see the repression of the mob.

Floyd has already been forgotten.

I have just read this on the BBC news site. Looks like some police chiefs have lost control of their men.
To keep within the guidelines and respect of the site rules about political discussions, I'll only say this. You all may have noticed that I've posted images but have been refraining from commenting. If you want to know my feelings, feel free to visit my VisualOhio.com site. I put together an editorial there.

There are bad actors in the police and in the protest marches. There are also good people trying to do the right thing and their job.

Facts:
militant groups such as ANTIFA have been caught staging areas of cities with palettes of bricks and recruiting locals (offering cash) and busing in people from out of state to start rioting and looting here in Columbus. This has been documented via video evidence. 90% of the people protesting are doing it lawfully and don't want more violence. Fringe elements are looking for a catalyst to cause violence.

The local Columbus police department has come out and sat one entire day with the crowd of protesters to hear and address their concerns. Due to the events of violence and rioting over the past weekend. Columbus has removed 5 officers that overstepped their bounds during the dispersing of the crowd. The Columbus Police have empowered the protesters to point out and stop the violent actors. Since they have done that and initiated a curfew - the violence and looting in downtown Columbus has stopped.

Fact section over.

My opinion about the media is that I cannot trust them. NONE OF THEM. Instead of them reporting and watchdogging the government - they have become an organization with an agenda. They post the narrative how they want you to see it and not how it truly is. They want the sensationalism and dominate the news cycle with the violence. They are rarely showing the positives. They are not reporting on the true message. We need change and we need to stop killing our fellow americans. The police officers that cannot handle the job need to be held accountable and not treated as above reproach. We need to hear from the people that are being treated unfairly and work with them to enact change. Not allow some politician that changes their stance from issue to issue to try and make it through another election cycle.

We need change, we need for the message to get out there. Not 24/7 news coverage of the 10% that are trying to destroy everything. We need the message of the 90% of peacecful, change.

Anyway....I'll post additional pictures as I get them, but I will not go into my opinions further.

The images speak for themselves.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom