Share George Floyd coverage

Real Name
Andrew
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I had a gun pointed at me once (by mistake) by an Illinois state trooper. I'll never forget the fear I experienced for that split second.
Had a SC State Trooper come up to my families car ready to draw. He stopped us going 5mph over the speed limit and was everything you would not want in a police officer. My daughter was 13 at the time.

I received a nasty lengthy very cold weather shakedown and (no consent) car search by undercover Houston cops many years ago (6 of 'em). On the way home from work late one night. In for some emergency computer systems service. Probable cause to stop me, no way ! I'm white. Not speeding. Not in the wrong part of town. Stuff happens I guess.

My sympathies are with anyone wrongly hassled, and by those whose life and property are not offered protection by those sworn to do it.

Last edited:
Great photos Andrew - keep up the good work.

One suggestion I heard recently was to have a National Database for police. A former friend of a friend was fired from a local police department for excessive violent behavior and he immediately got a job in the sheriff's department. He eventually got fired from there.

If I defrauded my company as a CFO, I don't think I'd find that kind of job quickly around here.

Real Name
Andrew
From Reynoldsburg 6/3/2020

There are 45 from this series, but I hand picked these for sharing here.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Her name is Dipisha and she is a local student and the march organizer.

Great work as always, Andrew. But as a member of "the media" living and working 90 miles from Columbus...

My opinion about the media is that I cannot trust them. NONE OF THEM. Instead of them reporting and watchdogging the government - they have become an organization with an agenda. They post the narrative how they want you to see it and not how it truly is. They want the sensationalism and dominate the news cycle with the violence. They are rarely showing the positives. They are not reporting on the true message. We need change and we need to stop killing our fellow americans. The police officers that cannot handle the job need to be held accountable and not treated as above reproach. We need to hear from the people that are being treated unfairly and work with them to enact change. Not allow some politician that changes their stance from issue to issue to try and make it through another election cycle.
This is a load of malarkey. First, grouping all news organizations under the umbrella of "the media" is equivalent to someone grouping anyone who owns a camera (including one in a cell phone) as "photographers." Second, as an avid reader of the Columbus Dispatch and Associated Press and listener of Ohio Public Radio, there is plenty of great reporting being done all around you. The only "agenda" of those professionals is to report the news. They're not into pushing narratives; that's the lane loudmouth commentators occupy.

Real Name
Andrew
Great work as always, Andrew. But as a member of "the media" living and working 90 miles from Columbus...

This is a load of malarkey. First, grouping all news organizations under the umbrella of "the media" is equivalent to someone grouping anyone who owns a camera (including one in a cell phone) as "photographers." Second, as an avid reader of the Columbus Dispatch and Associated Press and listener of Ohio Public Radio, there is plenty of great reporting being done all around you. The only "agenda" of those professionals is to report the news. They're not into pushing narratives; that's the lane loudmouth commentators occupy.
there are some good reporters for sure but by and large the media organizations have stopped caring about being objective and care more about money and siding with a political agenda.

that is my observation and we may not agree but that is the way I see it everywhere.

you may be one of the good ones, I don’t know as I am unfamiliar with your work. All I know is that i cannot trust any reportage and must, as we all should, question and verify what is being presented.

I will also add that sometimes the media is duped and fed false information. Sometimes it is an honest mistake and the falsehoods are not caught and other times it is just lazy reporting and not doing proper fact checking. A lot of that comes from the mentality of having to be first to the headline and not accurate to the headline.

A couple days ago CNN displayed a banner text in a huge font across the bottom of the television screen indicating something to the effect of Huge crowds protest across America for 7th straight night. That was while the live reporter was explaining and showing in whatever city he was in that nobody had shown up to protest that night. Gotta love it!

Last edited:
I trust Democracy Now! and other not-for-profit news outlets. I don't trust any for-profit organization to bite the hand that feeds them. If you get paid to run ads for the pharmaceutical industry, do you still give them the save coverage?

I trust Democracy Now! and other not-for-profit news outlets. I don't trust any for-profit organization to bite the hand that feeds them.
Do you trust the non-profits to bite the hand that feeds them? Keep in mind that for anything to happen on the scale of a news outlet, there has to be an exchange of something to keep the lights on and to pay the employees. It's almost always money that is exchanged.

Do you trust the non-profits to bite the hand that feeds them? Keep in mind that for anything to happen on the scale of a news outlet, there has to be an exchange of something to keep the lights on and to pay the employees. It's almost always money that is exchanged.
It depends on the non-profit. If their money comes from many thousands of individuals, I trust them more.

Amin Sabet

Administrator
Administrator
Real Name
Amin
Dear all,

Please respect our site rules: " Discussion of politics and religion is not allowed anywhere on the site. Note that posting photos containing political or religious content is allowed. Only the discussion is not allowed."

I do not want to close down this thread. Please just let the photos speak for themselves.

And for anyone who doesn't want to see the thread at all, even if it's just photos without discussion, I'd like to remind you that there is an Ignore Thread link at the top of the thread.

-Amin

Real Name
Andrew
Ohio State University Hospital East - Knelt for 8:48 in honor of George Floyd 6/5/2020 @ 1pm.

Real Name
Andrew
OK, so I jumped and went with Kodak Tri-X 400 from DxO FilmPack5 plus a little extra tweaking on the shadow curve from me.

Real Name
Andrew
My personal preference is for the color images but either way, you did a wonderful job of capturing images of people in a very sad moment. Well done Andrew (y) I wish I could have been there with you and them.
Thank you.
I do as well prefer the color images, but since the question was asked and I'm a sucker for a good B&W processing....I just let it fly!

Thank you. Since I was there on a job, I did what I had to do...but I really wanted to just put down the cameras and kneel with them. I'll do that, though with the family tonight.
The way I see it is that it is important for this to be represented. I just hope that I was good enough to do the event justice.

And you are most welcome anytime to go on a photo outing with me. If you are ever in the Central Ohio region, let me know (obviously after all teh carzy COVID19 stuff is done...otherwise I can yell at you from across the street!) :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom