Get Sales Tax Refund from B&H....

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
"With the Payboo Card you can get an immediate credit in the amount of the sales tax when you make a purchase from B&H Photo. That means you are still technically paying the tax as legally required, but that B&H Photo will essentially refund that sales tax as a credit on your Payboo Card account. It is a clever workaround that means you can save on every order.

Even better, the sales tax credit can be earned for in-store purchases in addition to online sales.

You can get more details about the new Payboo Card from B&H Photo here:

Is there a way you can use the Payboo card to make a purchase at B&H and then pay off the balance with another card so you don't have to incur the 30% interest?

Real Name
Andy
Since B&H started collecting sales tax (last fall, I think) I started looking for alternatives. Adorama still doesn't collect sales tax for orders shipped out of state (at least not for IL). Many authorized retailers on eBay as well.

At the risk of exposing my Certified Curmudgeon status, regardless of whether or not a merchant collects sales tax, YOU are legally obligated to pay it. If you want to find one of the root causes of the demise of local B&M stores (camera and otherwise), here is one. Anyone complaining that their local camera store(s) no longer exist(s) should first look in the mirror.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
At the risk of exposing my Certified Curmudgeon status, regardless of whether or not a merchant collects sales tax, YOU are legally obligated to pay it. If you want to find one of the root causes of the demise of local B&M stores (camera and otherwise), here is one. Anyone complaining that their local camera store(s) no longer exist(s) should first look in the mirror.
Agreed......except that some of us never did have a camera store to deal with within 200 miles! Amazon charges tax, and they have had a MUCH bigger impact of brick and mortar/small businesses. The economic landscape is changing......and internet sales is probably the biggest change......whether or not sales tax is collected.

Agreed......except that some of us never did have a camera store to deal with within 200 miles! Amazon charges tax, and they have had a MUCH bigger impact of brick and mortar/small businesses. The economic landscape is changing......and internet sales is probably the biggest change......whether or not sales tax is collected.
Arguably, the lack of sales tax collection fed the growth of the Internet market. Sales tax, of course, is just one element of disintermediation (a 50 cent word meaning get rid of the middlemen). Amazon now collects sales tax at the state level. When I buy from Amazon (not an affiliated vendor) they collect Colorado State tax (2.9%). Local purchases within Colorado Springs carry a total sales tax of 8.25%. And I agree that the demise of local B&M camera retailers started (albeit at a fairly slow pace) before internet commerce was a thing.

As an issue of personal ethics I like to use the analogy of speed limits. Do you drive at or near the speed limit most of the time? if so, why? Because it is the right thing to do? Because you fear getting a ticket? Or a little of both? I think for most of us it is answer number three. The question is how much inconvenience you are willing to tolerate for your principles. Principles are easy until you live by them.

I view the speed limit as the minimum speed that cars should travel (at least on the highway). 55 or 65mph in modern cars on a freeway is absolutely ridiculous IMO.
Yet the law enforcement officer will inform you that it is a maximum. This gets to the core of how societies based on common law and depending upon voluntary compliance by a majority of citizens to function can actually work. Imagine that everyone on the roads you traveled had a different "interpretation". Wait... that's pretty much the current state.

Don't want to drag this into conflict or argumentation. My approach is to do no harm but take no sh*t. I simply ask that everyone ask themselves how their actions impact others before hitting the submit button or mashing the accelerator pedal.

Real Name
Andy
Well of course you are right. Yet, I am certain the State of Illinois collects plenty from me every year. And they have not been good stewards of public funds.

Real Name
Ian
Well of course you are right. Yet, I am certain the State of Illinois collects plenty from me every year. And they have not been good stewards of public funds.
Try living in the state with the highest fuel tax in the nation, which we were told were being used to fund the maintenance of our roadways and bridges, only to find out that over $4 BILLION had been funneled to the state police.

I mean, anyone who has driven on PA roads knows that the money wasn't going towards maintaining our roads, but just what the hell did the state police need $4 billion dollars for!?!?

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom