Get Sales Tax Refund from B&H....

Real Name
Ian
It's not the modern cars I'm worried about, it's the modern drivers :eek:
Ticket people for taking and posting duck-face selfies while driving in the left lane with a string of 10 cars behind them, not for driving 70mph...

Find me a candidate to run with that as their main campaign policy, and they've got my vote!

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
OK....let's get back on topic. B&H is collecting and reporting sales tax for many of the states. They have created a way to "credit" that amount back to the buyer. Is not that a win-win for the states and the buyer?

So, is B&H giving the tax they collect to the states, or is it coming out of B&Hs profit?
Both. They collect the sales tax and send it along to the states as required by law. They also refund it to the consumer and that's the part that comes out of their profit.

I'm willing to bet that the more people take B&H up on the refund, the sooner they raise their prices. That's when, in effect, their really is no refund. Anyone wanna take me up on that bet?

Both. They collect the sales tax and send it along to the states as required by law. They also refund it to the consumer and that's the part that comes out of their profit.

I'm willing to bet that the more people take B&H up on the refund, the sooner they raise their prices. That's when, in effect, their really is no refund. Anyone wanna take me up on that bet?
Not me. My momma raised a fat boy not a fool.

Now could there possibly be a corporate reduction of tax owed by B&H by collecting and submitting the sales tax on purchased items to the proper taxing authority?

Real Name
Andy

I'll take the odds on that bet.

The mechanism that @Butlerkid shared is B&H's effort to prevent buyers from shopping elsewhere, by letting the buyer recoup sales tax expense that some other merchants are not charging. They won't raise their prices because it would defeat that purpose to do so.

The margins for retailers built into Nikon USA retail pricing are sufficient to ensure that B&H can eat the sales tax and still claim plenty of profit, even when items go on sale. They have simply chosen not to risk legal retaliation from every state's treasury department for failing to collect it. Others have not (yet) made that choice.

Try living in the state with the highest fuel tax in the nation, which we were told were being used to fund the maintenance of our roadways and bridges, only to find out that over $4 BILLION had been funneled to the state police.

I mean, anyone who has driven on PA roads knows that the money wasn't going towards maintaining our roads, but just what the hell did the state police need $4 billion dollars for!?!?
Agree
Totally agree

Cabin

The mechanism that
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
@Butlerkid shared is B&H's effort to prevent buyers from shopping elsewhere, by letting the buyer recoup sales tax expense that some other merchants are not charging. They won't raise their prices because it would defeat that purpose to do so.
I completely agree with you about the short term and maybe the intermediate term. However, my thinking about the long term is that all the big players will eventually be using this process to give back consumers' sales taxes. Once that happens, all of them will raise their prices. That's mostly because I don't see any of these companies suddenly giving up about 7% from their top line.

I would agree with your comments above Mike, but you have to consider that there is probably some convoluted arrangement between B&H and the issuing bank about sharing to some extent the 30% they're going to charge those folks who choose to pay on payments. Plus they can probably afford to give a little to regain business loss back to local camera stores. My belief is, at the end of the day B&H is going to lose anything.

Real Name
Andy
Remember when B&H and all the other big NYC photography retailers used to assess 3% extra for credit cards? That’s probably going back 20 years or so. One by one, they stopped doing this; they understood that eating those fees is preferable to losing a sale. When the Amazon age began, free shipping became fairly standard. Individual states’ insistence on sales tax collection by e-tailers is just another development that eats into their profit margins.

The retailer eats shipping costs, credit card fees and now (at least for B&H) sales tax. Others will follow, in one manner or another and it will simply be the “new normal.” Or we will have to shop in Oregon or New Hampshire.

Real Name
Andy
I actually don't remember that, but that's probably because I have a bad memory. Interestingly, in some markets today gas stations charge more per gallon when a credit card is used.
Not sure exactly when they stopped, but I do remember sometime in the late 1970s or early 1980s sending a check to B&H (or Adorama, Ogden, Honest Abe's, or who knows!) for the Nikkor 80-200 f/4.5. It had taken me a long time of saving the pennies to afford it, so I had plenty of time to admire it in the catalog and read the "fine print" which said that you could pay by personal check (7-day hold), money order (shipment upon receipt), or credit card (immediate shipment but 3% surcharge). Those were the days...

Try living in the state with the highest fuel tax in the nation, which we were told were being used to fund the maintenance of our roadways and bridges, only to find out that over $4 BILLION had been funneled to the state police.

I mean, anyone who has driven on PA roads knows that the money wasn't going towards maintaining our roads, but just what the hell did the state police need $4 billion dollars for!?!?
But nobody knows how to waste tax revenues like the State of Illinois...and it's probably not close.

Glenn

Real Name
Andy
Just to put this back on track...

My experience applying online for the Payboo card was very straightforward. It took less than a minute, and they provided a card number on the spot as well as a link to make an immediate purchase if desired.

Many thanks @Butlerkid for the heads up on this opportunity.

As @bpdougd pointed out, it is indeed proper to pay sales tax either at point of sale or by declaring your aggregate liability for the year when filing a state tax return. If B&H collects the appropriate tax and gives it right back to me, that does seem like a win-win. Now if only I had a way to ensure Illinois did not waste this money.

But back to reality. Perhaps the day will come when brick and mortar stores recognize that collecting and immediately refunding the sales tax to the customer is a way to survive and possibly even thrive in the "Age of Amazon." They do offer two things that e-tailers cannot: the opportunity to touch before you buy and zero-wait delivery.

Local brick and mortar stores pay more than sales tax to the state. They also pay all local taxes, property taxes, payroll etc., besides adding to the local job market, and they often contribute to local charitable and non-profit world.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom