Get Serious!

How can you say that after you just added up your dslr entry costs? If you add a backup camera, lighting gear, and a couple of pro zoom event lens to your kit, you'll have come dangerously close to the 10K mark, my friend... but I won't tell Joellen if you don't tell Nancy. :wink:

Frank :

I just had the insurance binder for the photo gear cross my desk this week. It's certainly over that mark (and don't tell Alice... :wink:).

John P.

but I won't tell Joellen if you don't tell Nancy. :wink:

Yo, Frank! The next time you write a post like that be sure to include something at the top in upper-case letters that says something to the effect of MAKE SURE JOELLEN ISN'T LOOKING AT THE MONITOR.

She was! :biggrin: Fortunately, she didn't have her contacts in place. Whew! :biggrin:

Seriously, I hope you didn't miss my point that I would likely own $10,000 worth of equipment as a hobbyist before deciding to make a living at it. Therefore, I would not need to invest $10,000 to start up a professional photo business.

I had to take a break from writing my previous post to cook dinner, the sort of dinner that I promised Seneca if she ever comes to my part of the planet. :biggrin:

A major flaw in the initial post that Seneca provided us is that investors in a typical start-up business put up the money that buys the initial fixed assets such as office space, desks, equipment and the like. I'm confident that most one-person photography businesses already own much of the required equipment (camera, lenses, computers and software) as a hobbyist before venturing into the business. So, the statement that $10,000 is required to start a photography business is very misleading in my opinion.

With wine too - remember you and your wife are wine drinkers...so are we. Ok as far as investors go...I don't think anyone here will be doing any type of IPO's. However, you can for tax-IRS purposes use a room in your home and claim it as business space.

Some peole call it tenacity, others determination. Myself I may just be stubborn. But some times when everyone tells me that it's going to be hard or "just not realistic" that's when I get focused.

I am determined to see my business succeed. I have turned the corner on profitablity after 18 months. There is investment yet to come, and there always will be. None the less I have payed for the initial costs and business is picking up. It can be done, there is just plenty of sweat and learning to do along the way. I have a very long way to go, but I have set my goals and I intend to get there.

While all of the advice in this thread is good, and I read it carefully, don't let it get you down. If you want this, go get it.

John,

The need for and cost of licensing, insurance, accountants, tax file numbers, etc and etc, apply to any business that you are going to operate from any location, home office or commercial space. You cannot operate a business without them, although you can generate some income your favourite hobby without all the red tape.

Mike,

I have often found that hobby practitioner of the arts or trades will have more invested in tools and equipment than the professional. Mostly because the professional will only purchase equipment that will pay for itslef, so a wise investment. Where as a hobbyist will buy more goodies because he wants or feels he needs the gear.

Matt S.

Any business venture will take the qualities you have described. If you choose to become a professional photographer and work smart and hard, you will find success. Sounds like you are on the right track and all the best for the future.

Whether you are a professional or amateur photographer means nothing except where you earn your income. I know many people who as amateurs are more talented than many professionals. In fact, as a hobbyist, you can be more passionate and creative than often a professional is allowed to since he is constrained by the client demands and money. This is why I will repeat my previous warning, beware of taking the thing that you love and making it a job.

N

Nuteshack

u could shoot weddings with a point n shoot...some do and most of their clients don't know any better (TRUTH). SALESmanSHIP goes a long ways!

Thank you all for some really good points...it's great to hear the different opinions. Best wishes to all of you.

Real Name
Rodney
This post was shown in the similar threads under another and so I clicked it.

Here we have another long time, super active member (more than 10,000 posts) who just dropped off the face of the Earth back in 2018. (ten years after her post here)

Does anyone know what happend to Seneca?

McQ

Still looking to break 80 consistently.
Real Name
Glenn
This post was shown in the similar threads under another and so I clicked it.

Here we have another long time, super active member (more than 10,000 posts) who just dropped off the face of the Earth back in 2018. (ten years after her post here)

Does anyone know what happend to Seneca?

Haven't heard a peep since 2018. I hope she's well.

Latest threads

Top Bottom