1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Get the 16-85VR or keep my 24-85f2.8-4

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by ashman, Aug 24, 2008.

1. I have a nice Nikon 24-85 zoom/macro lens that is quite nice, however lately I am, for some reason, (insert NAS here), I am lusting after the 16-85VR. Now if I pull the trigger on the 16-85 I'll have to sell the 24-85 and I am at odds at what to do, so I turn to you good people for advice.

I like the 24-85 but feel the 16-85 would be a better fit in terms of its sharpness and contrast, plus the VR would he nice to have. On the other hand it would be a shame to lose the macro capability of the 24-85 which is nice to use from time to time.

I'm looking for advice from those who have used either of the lenses, however anyone else can help me with my decision.

Thanks

AM

2. mematsu

mematsu

May 2, 2007
    los angeles
    The 16-85 is very appealing(NAS) to me also.

You gain a useful 16mm to 24mm. Add VR and AF-S. But lose a stop at 85mm. I've read both lenses are very good performers. Hummmm.

Maybe you could sell the 18-55 since the 16-85 overlaps it and pick up a 55mm AI/S. I've had the F2.8 version and it is very sharp. I hear the F3.5 is also very good.

Decisions. Decisions. :smile:

3. Actually I should remove the 18-55 from my sig, I don't have it anymore. Think I'm gonna pull the trigger on the 16-85.

AM

4. AM,

I'm concerned this is change for change sake. The 16-85 is not any better than the 24-85 and you don't have any FL gaps so just keep the 24-85. I know it's more fun to get new glass but there's no real benefit to the 16-85.

5. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    The 24-85 D is an under valued lens in my opinion. I really like mine....just used only it today....like the color, contrast, and versatility of this lens....keeping mine for a long time....the Macro functions is very nice esp. when having just one lens with you.

6. Joe, after thinking about it some more, I hear what you are saying, however there is more to my reasoning that just NAS. I feel I can replace the 24-85 and possibly my Tokina 12-24 with the 16-85. I know that 16mm is quite different from 12mm, but I simply don't shoot as many wide angle shots as I thought I would when I got the lens, and frankly I think 16mm will suffice. The 16-85 can focus quite close, perhaps not as close as the macro capabilities of my 24-85 but close enough I am sure. I will try the lens out, if I like it I'll keep it if not, I'll sell it. Thanks for your advice.

AM

7. 151proof

151proof

Jun 6, 2008
    SD
    Do it!!! I replaced a couple of lenses with the purchase of my 16-85VR. It replaced my 18-70 and 28-105 w/ macro and never missed them after getting my 16-85. 16 is actually wide enough for the shots I take and 85 has the reach I need most of the time, then again I also have the 70-300 VR to compliment the 16-85. Try it out you'll for sure love it!

8. johnmh

johnmh

Nov 21, 2007
    Greater NYC
    Different uses and functions..... I'd passed on the 16-85 but reconsidered after my last trip. The 18-200 alone doesn't cover the range I wanted but the selection I'd been carrying was a bit much at times.

This recent trip I found the 16-85 is very useful as a light 'carry' lens paired with the 70-300 (or later - hopefully and gaining even more range - with the rumored updated 80-400 AF-S VR). These two lenses replaced the 12-24, 24-84 and 70-200 (w/ TC's) I'd carried before. Slightly less range with far less weight and bulk for backcountry treks. I'll still use the previous selection for shorter treks under different circumstances but I was pleased to carry less weight.

You lose some speed with the 16-85 but gain VR and a wider low end compared to the 24-85. 16mm isn't 12mm but it was wide enough for most shots that I could leave the 12-24 behind.

9. Toby D

Toby D

Mar 7, 2006
    Iowaay
    Having had both, the 16-85 is sharper. This is a lens I use a lot for that reason.

2679348977_c8f560ba7f.

f6.3 @ 85mm. Some cropping too.

10. What a great shot!!!

11. 16-85 is an awesome lens, and a zoom range I miss. A great walk around lens.

12. I love my 16-85. I couldn't have been happier with my purchase of that lens. Very sharp, useful range, AF-S, VR, etc. Its great.

13. Well that makes sense. Swapping 2 for 1 is a bit different and I can see the rationale. Enjoy the new lens.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.